Which is faster on iOS: Safari or Chrome?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by digitalove, Sep 12, 2013.

1. digitalove macrumors regular

I'm currently using Chrome on both iOS and OS X and I find it much more fast (on OS X) and a better way to keep history/bookmarks in sync.

The only thing that Chrome lack in iOS is a "reader" function like Safari, hope they will add something like that.

With iOS 7 coming out I think Safari is way NICER than Chrome.

My question btw is Which is faster (on iOS) and which browser you prefer and why.

2. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Safari is and always will be faster than any other browser on iOS simply because of the fact that only Safari can use the nitro JavaScript engine. I think this is the case, it had something to do about accessing something very deep in the system. But basically only safari can take advantage of it.

3. GreyOS macrumors 68030

Safari is faster. All other browsers on iOS have to use the same engine which isn't as fast as the one Safari has.

edit: ^ what he said

4. digitalove thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't notice a difference between the two on iOS, that's why I asked it.. btw thanks.

5. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

Only allow Safari take advantage nitro JavaScript engine or using its own engine is monopolistic behaviour, don't you think? It is worse than Microsoft with its IE.

6. Joaolx macrumors member

Joaolx

Safari definitely. I tried Chrome several times and always went back, no reason to change.

7. digitalove thread starter macrumors regular

Sync works better on Chrome. Also on OS X Chrome is like 10x faster and full screen works much better.. but yeah on iOS maybe not so much..

8. Joaolx macrumors member

Joaolx

The sync is equal for me on both browsers, they both sync open tabs and bookmarks but I can also have reading list in safari, don't know about Chrome.
    I have also tried Chrome in OS X and went back, the scrolling is a lot smoother and the speed improvement in safari in Mountain Lion was pretty good and can't wait for reduced memory usage on Mavericks which is the only problem I have. I also have no need for Chrome extensions, the ones I need are available for Safari.
    It has always been my favorite browser but I guess that's my opinion.

9. GreyOS macrumors 68030

One of the main reasons I don't use Safari on Mountain Lion is because the two finger gesture for back and forward - whilst it looks beautiful - always causes the page to reload and really ruins the experience. Chrome handles forwards/backwards so much better (though it doesn't look as good). Getting a bit off topic but I dunno if about on Maverick knows if this is improved in Safari?

10. TyBurgess macrumors newbie

Safari is faster but not really noticeable, I use Chrome as it has a really good voice recognition for searching. Much faster and more accurate than asking Siri.

11. Joaolx macrumors member

Joaolx

It usually reloads but most of the times I check something on Google, open a link, if i want to go back, swipe and choose another link without reloading. It works very well like this, but if you use other tabs or have a tab opened for too long than it might reload.
    This might be fixed in Mavericks because Apple as reduced RAM usage in Safari by a lot if what they say is true.

12. digitalove thread starter macrumors regular

btw chrome for ios was updated yesterday.

do you think new the chrome icon is in line with the ios 7 style? maybe someone with ios 7 and new chrome update can post a screen?

13. w0lf, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Safari is significantly faster at some things. That being said I still use Chrome instead of Safari on all my Apple devices.

Not much really changed. Here's the icon and new keyboard (just slight recolor as far as I can tell).

Attached Files:

14. Joaolx macrumors member

Joaolx

No they idea they had updated, just checked the new icon because iOs 7 has auto updates.[​IMG]

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's in line with Google's current design of their iOS apps (a design that they started bringing to their apps before iOS 7 was even introduced).

----------

That's really the main thing it comes down to as far as speed. It's not something that is always noticeable, and there are people who don't really care about it one way or another, but that's really the primary difference that is there.

16. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I use Chrome as my main browser since it is cross-platform (iOS, Mac, Windows), keeps bookmarks and tabs in sync, and remembers passwords across platforms.

As for "reader" type functionality, I use (and recommend) using Pocket. I use the Pocket app on iOS/Mac, and the Pocket extension for Chrome.

17. self macrumors regular

If you're jailbroken, there's a Cydia app called Nitrous that gives apps access to the Nitro engine. I benchmarked Safari vs Chrome with V8 after installing and they were essentially identical.

18. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Chrome. Safari, wow, gave up on that app YEARS ago. Chrome so much more powerful. Its on the iphone, Ipad, Mac, and my PC at home. Never ever going back to Safari....

19. aircanman macrumors 6502

For some reason Chrome feels snappier but Safari is more solid, and I like keeping an apple device apple, so putting Chrome activates my OCD. However, just downloading the recent update, see if I like it!

The only thing is those horrible bookmark icons which are all different sizes, and 2 presses just to get to them, its all about making it easier, without knowing the tech is there.

20. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Actually, on iOS Chrome is restricted to be slower than Safari. Some people notice it, some don't, but it is slower. That's why when I was jailbroken I used Nitro, when brought it back up to speed with Safari for iOS.

Technically, Chrome for iOS isn't even Chrome, because it doesn't use Chrome's engine, it's just a repackaged slower version of Safari for iOS.

21. BigJohno macrumors 65816

I never know if apps have been updated because of the auto update.

22. Joaolx macrumors member

Joaolx

It appears in the notification center. Doesn't show banners so it doesn't bother me. It works well for me, no need to check for updates and at the end of the day I check which apps have been updated and what was updated. It still saves me some time.

23. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I'm gonna try to disabuse some people here:

Safari does indeed have exclusive access to the Nitro JavaScript engine. As for whether that engagement will continue into the future, we'll have to wait and see. However, do you really think that boosted JavaScript performance makes a palpable difference in speed? Not at all. Rendering times are identical between the two, and it's not like the borked engine in Chrome makes it unusable for JavaScript or anything.

TL;DR, Safari has the technical advantage in terms of JavaScript, but no real, noticeable advantage in general speed or responsiveness.