Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
I am looking to make the switch to a Mac. Not sure if i want a iMac ( i7 ) or Mac Pro.

I want something that has the SAME or MORE power then my current PC.

I currently have a DELL XPS 730x ( I7-940, 2.93, 8MB cache Bloomfield )

or would you say there about the same? I dont know much about XEONs or Macs for that matter. Any help would be great, thanks.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
a xeon is the same cpu but with support for ecc ram and dual processors.

your PC is faster because you can easily overclock to 4Ghz.

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
One other question ( sorry to be a bit OT ) but would it be possible to have 2 hard drives in the Mac Pro and have OSX on one drive and Windows 7 on the other drive?

and then having the option to boot to OSX or Win 7?

or is that not possible? i know you can run bootcamp and other programs ( not sure how that works ) but was curious rather then splitting up the HD if i can have each OS on its own drive and boot from it.

hakuryuu

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Lomita, CA
One other question ( sorry to be a bit OT ) but would it be possible to have 2 hard drives in the Mac Pro and have OSX on one drive and Windows 7 on the other drive?

or is that not possible? i know you can run bootcamp and other programs ( not sure how that works ) but was curious rather then splitting up the HD if i can have each OS on its own drive and boot from it.

Yes, you can have each OS on its own drive.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
a xeon is the same cpu but with support for ecc ram and dual processors.

your PC is faster because you can easily overclock to 4Ghz.

The quad core Mac Pro's CPUs do not support multiple CPUs (only one QPI) I think but that doesn't really matter as the mobo has only one socket anyway (just to clarify :cool:)

Yes, you can do that

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
It's really easy to put windows on a seperate HD through bootcamp. Once you have the second drive in there, all you do is go through the boot camp installation and instead of choosing your OS X drive, just pick the other drive that you installed.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Bootcamp is just an installer, not some sort of emulator.

All it does is create a partition to install Windows, which could be an entire drive if you like. Then it asks to restart the computer with a Windows disk in the drive. It will restart and you do the rest. As long as you format the drive to NTFS in the Windows Disc install process, Windows will never know it's on a Mac. There's no difference.

The iMacs use Lynnfield with hyperthreading but NO ECC-RAM support.

Other than that, the Mac Pro has more potential power, as it's a workstation, but with the iMac, you'll notice greater speed in every-day use and basic exporting/rendering won't be drastically different.

Go with the iMac. It's the greatest value in the computer market currently. Find any single other computer with an equivalent display, hardware options and form factor for equal or less price. It's not happening.

Also, what you should know as a new user is, MacOS X will run smoother on equal hardware than Windows. It just has better resource managing.

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

Has a real head to head comparison been done between OS X and Windows, on the same Mac Pro? How do most demanding apps perform on each side? (I don't want to install Windows on my Mac, but some of you guys could do that test, right?)

And then compare a Mac Pro to a hackintosh using i7 chips?

Loa

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
The systems both have similar raw power, of course. But the Operating System is just another piece of software, and some run better than others.

MacOS X runs smoother and uses less resources, is all. Rendering an item with the same software on either will result in the similar FPS'.

Scrolling, clicking dragging, window moving will be smoother and more responsive.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Hahaha!

Yeah, I know, it sucks. It seems so pointless to MAKE IT do so, but it's even more pointless to MAKE IT not do so after it did...

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
It's really easy to put windows on a seperate HD through bootcamp. Once you have the second drive in there, all you do is go through the boot camp installation and instead of choosing your OS X drive, just pick the other drive that you installed.
If each OS is installed on it's own drive, you don't even need Boot Camp.

BC is just a partition tool designed to allow both OS's to share a single drive. You would need to run the setup.exe file though, so it installs the necessary drivers for Windows (though it's rather easy to get the right ones automatically through Windows Update under Windows 7; Vista or XP however does require you to run the file).

zeigerpuppy

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2009
Quad Boot

I use Snow Leopard on my Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 based rig, it's faster than a stock Mac Pro Quad core and can be overclocked.
I Run a quad-boot system
1) Snow Leopard
2) Ubuntu
3) Windows 7
4) Snow Leopard Backup

Three of these are on the same hard drive (remember the old rule: partition, install windows, then install everything else). The booting is with PC-EFI which brings up a nice menu at boot to pick your start up disk.

Performance:
Snow Leopard is snappier as far as a user interface (the main reason I use it), window management is better than Windows, unix commands and linux interoperability are built in and it is less buggy and less prone to being broken by software installs.
Windows 7 performs much better with 3D games (mostly because of code optimisation).
Linux is a leaner OS than both and if you need to do real-time tasks it's the only way to go (you can compile programs into the kernel at a higher priority than allowed by OS X or Windows)
Sound processing is better on OS X due to core audio

Have a look at the insanelymac forums, you may find that your existing hardware is capable of running OS X, just buy a copy of Snow Leopard, check out the forums on how to install for your hardware and put it on a separate harddrive if you're not familiar with the black art of partitioning...

Also, don't get sidetracked by Apple fanboys who say this is illegal, it's your hardware and your right to do with it what you please, as long as you buy the software, you have committed no crime. The EULA is an agreement between you and Apple that basically states that they won't support you if you install Snow Leopard on non-approved hardware, fair enough, don't expect support from them. But their claim that you are not allowed to install this on your own hardware is marketing, not law. No EULA has been supported by a court where it inhibits your right to use software as you see fit, actually the DMCA reinforced this right.

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Performance:
Snow Leopard is snappier as far as a user interface (the main reason I use it), window management is better than Windows, unix commands and linux interoperability are built in and it is less buggy and less prone to being broken by software installs.
Windows 7 performs much better with 3D games (mostly because of code optimisation).
Linux is a leaner OS than both and if you need to do real-time tasks it's the only way to go (you can compile programs into the kernel at a higher priority than allowed by OS X or Windows)
Sound processing is better on OS X due to core audio

Thanks for the info!

Loa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.