Which is it - RapidWeaver or iWeb?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by HarryK, Apr 6, 2010.

1. HarryK macrumors newbie

I've seen a lot of good sites made with iWeb, but some of them load up kind of slow, but some a lot quicker....and frankly I'd like mine to get up and go asap.....I like working with iWeb, but then again, investing in RapidWeaver is not going to bankrupt me either...... so I'd appreciate it if someone would care to elaborate on this....
    thanks
    Harry

2. MarketingGuy macrumors member

Hi Harry,

I personally love iWeb for quick personal websites that look slick. If you wanted something a little more complex with blogs and other features, I would recommend using WordPress to create the site.

I haven't personally tried RapidWeaver but I've heard that's just OK from friends that have used it. I normally recommend Adobe Dream Weaver for anyone who wants to build a site that's more custom, but needs a little help. It really depends on the type of site you are building and how comfortable you are with coding.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I love the simplicity of iWeb but found it too restricted, too few templates and it produced bad html code that was also not very SEO friendly.

I now use rapidweaver, it has a gazillion templates available, a lot of them are free but most cost about 4 bucks and up. The performance is much better, and it produces cleaner code. You can also have a much more complex site design as well.

4. HarryK thread starter macrumors newbie

5. HarryK thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

That is kind of what I thought.......I am heading over to their site.....

6. MarketingGuy macrumors member

If you think RapidWeaver will work for you, then give it a try. I personally have not used the program, so I can only pass along what other have told me.

Learning to use a new software package is not trivial, so WordPress might be something that you could look into in the future. WordPress is probably the easiest light website utility that uses a content management system. But, if you don't need to go that far, then finding an nice editor like RapidWeaver may be a perfect fit for your needs.

Best of luck with the site!

7. alm99 macrumors 6502

I love iWeb for its easy to use interface, wysiwyg ability. I picked up rapidweaver in the last macheist bundle and I find it to have a bit of a learning curve.

I have basic html knowledge and no CSS knowledge. It is no where near as easy to design your own website beyond a prebuilt template and I want my site to look a certain way. There a couple of plugins you can purchase to make it more like iWeb, blocks and stacks, but still isn't the same. There is also a blank theme you can purchase to use those newly purchased plug-ins to build a site, however its not as easy as iWeb because you are confined to that theme/templates predefined settings unless you can code.

Rapidweaver is definitely stronger under the hood in what it can do, but isn't as user friendly starting out. I also find that you can get nickeled and dimed with the various plug-ins you can buy.

8. dumfweaver macrumors newbie

I've tried iweb in the past and wasn't impressed, but found weebly.com the best of the online site builders, my 13 year old son is building a weebly site for his school project

I've had a very brief play with drupal garden beta and it looks really good - its based on drupal 7 and they have really worked on functionality and easy design changes.

It may not be what you're looking for but if you are still learning the coding and need to focus on the design give them both a try.