Which is more comfortable AT&T or APPLE store walk in?

SydneyJunkie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Im also trying to avoid the 500 dollar deposit fee, I have no credit history at all, any tips?

ngrimes-2010

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Im also trying to avoid the 500 dollar deposit fee, I have no credit history at all, any tips?
Comfortable? LOL! You want a laz-e-boy?

I don't know if you've heard but the iPhone 4 has sold really well. You might not be able to just "walk in" to either.

No way around the credit thing. They'll get you at either place (guy last night was flipping when I was buying my ip4 because they wanted a $750 deposit)

Might want to wait until your credit is good bub.

FrauHasSpoken

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
It's the same process anyway.

Except at the Apple store they'll harass you to buy MobileMe or Apple Care or something. It can be very annoying. Especially with all their fake happiness.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
what the **** man

is this real life?

do they do cosign at least
It's as real as it's going to get for someone with bad/No credit. You can have someone buy the phone under their name if they have good credit.

It's the same with Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile and any other cell phone carrier. Good and established credit is a must on post paid.

You can always get a prepaid account and use that on an iPhone. You would have o buy the iPhone from a private seller to do that since AT&T/Apple will not sell an iPhone for use on prepaid.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
what the **** man

is this real life?

Its very real as in if no credit no wireless service like every other provider.
You can bring someone with you to open up the account and add your name to it or pay up the deposit and get it back months later if your account is still in good standing.
Neither an Apple store or AT&T will make a difference when it comes to the credit check.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
what the **** man

is this real life?
Oh, it's definitely real life. Because you have no credit history, these people have no idea whether or not you're the type of person who pays his bills & debts on time, so they'd rather be cautious and require a deposit. If you think this is bad, go try to buy a new car with no credit history and try to get a low interest rate.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
what the **** man

is this real life?

Welcome to the life of a ghost in the credit system.

Some one with no credit history (aka ghost) starts with a credit score of 600. Now it can and tend to go up fairly quickly.

wwjbd24

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
i always find apple more friendly, but for calling plan related issues, I would go to ATT

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
Comfortable? Ahahaha...Call ahead and see if they can break out a futon for you when you come in and maybe your favorite tasty beverage on ice? Hell might as well go the whole nine and see if they can hook you up with some hors d'oeuvres too!

circularforward

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I wouldn't say either of the two are necessarily "comfortable" places to get the iphone right now. I bought from Apple this past Friday, and it was packed! I had to wait about 10-15 minutes, which is similar to what I typically wait whenever I go into the local ATT store. Just call ahead and go to the nearest one to you that has stock.

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
If by comfort you mean pleasant, Apple is the way to go IMO.

As far as your question about a deposit goes, there is no way around it.
It actually serves well as a nice, no percentage investment.

My $500 deposit was drafted this morning according the to call rep and will be here in 7-10 business days. I had long forgot and lived without it.

Just don't get your service suspended and you'll get it back in 12 billing cycles.

Blonde Buddhist

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Comfortable? LOL! You want a laz-e-boy?

I don't know if you've heard but the iPhone 4 has sold really well. You might not be able to just "walk in" to either.

No way around the credit thing. They'll get you at either place (guy last night was flipping when I was buying my ip4 because they wanted a $750 deposit)

Might want to wait until your credit is good bub.
iPhone 4's are readily available. It's just your typical Apple myth that they are in short supply. Now tainted due to the antenna issue, fueled by Apple themselves, one can go either place and easily obtain one. More importantly, if you can wait you'll be far better off to pass on iPhone 4 and buy the next new model.

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2010
iPhone 4's are readily available. It's just your typical Apple myth that they are in short supply. Now tainted due to the antenna issue, fueled by Apple themselves, one can go either place and easily obtain one. More importantly, if you can wait you'll be far better off to pass on iPhone 4 and buy the next new model.
sorry buddy, but as one who has been trying to get one in a store for a couple of weeks now, I am going to call you full of crap. Readily available my butt.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Called around on Friday. Found stock at a couple of Best Buy stores. One of my local Apple stores also had stock. Best Buy was a shorter drive, so I bought one there.

Stein357

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Rip City
In my experience Apple has better customer service and there's no way around the $500 deposit, although AT&T should pay you interest on it.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
i guess I look at it as you are buying a phone, not signing up for assisted care living.
ATT and bestbuy did the same exact thing. license, credit card and ssn, it will be about 10 minutes.
such transactions I like to be impersonal, but that is just me.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yeah ok
Easilly obtain them my a$$...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.