Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple(L)Goldie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I am deciding on which I phone I would like, but I heard some rumours that the 3G was more durable than the 3GS and I would like to confirm that with others. Also, what is a better size to get 16 GB or 32 GB? I already have 16 GB & 32 GB iPod Touch, I will mostly be texting and using the apps.

Hope to hear your thoughts,
G :apple:

Mac Mini - Leopard
MacBook 13.3" Unibody Polycarbonate
iPod Touch - 2nd & 3rd Generation
iPod Nano - 2nd & 3rd Generation
soon be on the list...iPhone 3GS

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
There is no difference in durability between the 3g and 3gs. As far as size goes it depends on your needs.

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
I am deciding on which I phone I would like, but I heard some rumours that the 3G was more durable than the 3GS and I would like to confirm that with others. Also, what is a better size to get 16 GB or 32 GB?

Hope to hear your thoughts,
G :apple: [/SIZE]

I am pretty sure they are, for all intents and purposes, the same machine. One has a different processor, and a few extra bells and whistles. But otherwise, they are pretty much exactly the same.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
Also keep in mind that the 3G will give you performance problems running 3.0. (As apple will punish you for not buying the 3GS)

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the 3Gs have a new exterior screen coating that is resistant to fingerprints? Perhaps they are talking about the durability of that compared the the non-fingerprint resistant screen on the 3G.

The Final Cut

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
Oh, give me a break.

Oh no, my wife's 2009 Macbook is faster than my 2007 Macbook! Clearly Apple is punishing me! :rolleyes:

No, it couldn't be that newer hardware is faster! No...no, it must be a vendetta against me.

No. Apple is not still marketing and directly selling brand new 2007 spec macbooks. Your logic is absurd.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
The iPhone 2G. It has a metal back that probably feels more secure that the current plastic back. You should get a 16GB 3GS since you already have 2 iPod touches.

nehunte

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009
At this point, IMO, you'd have to be crazy to get a 3G. Think about it, the 3G model has been out for 1.5+ years to this point. If you get it now, by the time you fulfill a 2 year contract, you will have a 3.5 year old spec device. It was also mentioned earlier about the 3G not running smoothly on 3.0+ firmware. These claims are absolutely true (a simple Google search on the topic will yield many results). Experienced it firsthand on my 3G. 3.0+ firmware is designed for the 3Gs, yet still works on 3G. The 3Gs has a much faster processor (Apple claims "up to twice as fast") and also boasts twice as much RAM plus a handful of other improved/added features.

So, while the 3G will function as a phone and do exactly what it is supposed to do, the 3Gs does it better and faster. Think of it like this, you can buy a laptop that has single core processor and 2GB of RAM or a laptop that has a dual-core processor and 4GB of RAM for only $100 more. The first one will get the job done just fine in probably every situation, but the latter will do it smoother and faster and will be up-to-date for newer applications that come to the market.

Ultimately, however, this decision is solely yours. Best of luck with it.

ADDITION: There was a lot of talk about the new screen type rubbing off and some cracks in the housing. However, haven't seen much traffic on that conversation since the first few months of the 3Gs release. So, I'm not sure if it's been fixed or if the whole thing was a load of bull.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
No. Apple is not still marketing and directly selling brand new 2007 spec macbooks. Your logic is absurd.

And your logic is that hardware that's a year older should magically work the same as the newer hardware?

Why would they sell a cheaper 3G phone if it worked exactly like the 3GS?

Furthermore, why would they come out with the 3GS update at all if it wasn't any better than the previous version? They were suposed to update the phone but not make it any better? Is that it?

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
if your looking for durability

then buy a 3G or 3GS your choice and buy a Otterbox for it. then go mountain climbing! :p structurally they are the same as far as dropping it with out a case! Apples to Apples!

otterbox_iphone_rugged_case.jpg

nehunte

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009
then buy a 3G or 3GS your choice and buy a Otterbox for it. then go mountain climbing! :p structurally they are the same as far as dropping it with out a case! Apples to Apples!

Good call on the otterbox. I've heard rumors of people accidentally running over their phone with their car and the phone was fine. I have no way if knowing that's true, but it would be pretty spectacular if so.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
They're both the same. I'm hoping for a new design this year. Maybe something more like the iPod touch (back wraps all the way around to the front).

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
At this point, IMO, you'd have to be crazy to get a 3G. Think about it, the 3G model has been out for 1.5+ years to this point. If you get it now, by the time you fulfill a 2 year contract, you will have a 3.5 year old spec device. It was also mentioned earlier about the 3G not running smoothly on 3.0+ firmware. These claims are absolutely true (a simple Google search on the topic will yield many results). Experienced it firsthand on my 3G. 3.0+ firmware is designed for the 3Gs, yet still works on 3G. The 3Gs has a much faster processor (Apple claims "up to twice as fast") and also boasts twice as much RAM plus a handful of other improved/added features.

So, while the 3G will function as a phone and do exactly what it is supposed to do, the 3Gs does it better and faster. Think of it like this, you can buy a laptop that has single core processor and 2GB of RAM or a laptop that has a dual-core processor and 4GB of RAM for only $100 more. The first one will get the job done just fine in probably every situation, but the latter will do it smoother and faster and will be up-to-date for newer applications that come to the market.

ADDITION: There was a lot of talk about the new screen type rubbing off and some cracks in the housing. However, haven't seen much traffic on that conversation since the first few months of the 3Gs release. So, I'm not sure if it's been fixed or if the whole thing was a load of bull.

Hmmm...My PS2 is 10 years old, my MBP 4, Wii is 2.5, PS3 1.5, TV 3, external HD 4/3/1.5 repectivly, 2G iPhone 2 and change, 3G is 1.5 and change. All these work perfectly and are used. I don't see that buying a new device that is "old" tech is a bad thing.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Hmmm...My PS2 is 10 years old, my MBP 4, Wii is 2.5, NGC 7, PS3 1.5, TV 3, external HD 4/3/1.5 respectively, 2G iPhone 2 and change, 3G is 1.5 and change. All these work perfectly and are used. I don't see that buying a new device that is "old" tech is a bad thing.

phynios

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
The 3g because the 3gs screen is prone to wear and tear.

Just put a pretective sleeve over it, loads out there. IntelliShield is the best, it covers the whole phone with almost no weight or size changes. My 3GS is almost 8 months old now and it doesn't have even the slightest of scratches!

The screen is still as responsive as ever too btw :)

RiceRacerDX

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Good call on the otterbox. I've heard rumors of people accidentally running over their phone with their car and the phone was fine. I have no way if knowing that's true, but it would be pretty spectacular if so.
What kind of accident prone people do you hang around that just so happen to leave their iPhone in an Otterbox case on their driveway pavement and then just so happen to drive their car directly over it? Cuz I've only heard of Otterbox doing this..

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
The only real advantage from the hardware between the 3G and 3Gs (besides memory, speed, etc...) the digitizer is attached to the glass on the 3GS which, doesn't sound like much, but can be good / bad.

It's bad because if you break the damn thing, you have to replace both. Meaning more money.

Good, and this happened to me, is that with the 3G eventually you can get dust between the digitizer and the glass causing spots to be on the display. Yes it doesn't effect performance but it looks ugly. I haven't bothered to take it apart to clean it, but I guess I could.

Just something to think about.

tenniscutie215

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
It really doesn't matter

All that you need to worry about is your price tag. The 3G costs less but does not have all of the features of the 3G S. I would wait until the summer when Apple comes out with a new iPhone because it will be more updated and probably at a better price

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.