Which is More Fascinating - Oil or Coal?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Epsilon88, Feb 26, 2011.

?

Which energy technology would be more fascinating to study?

1. Oil

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Coal

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

I've been assigned to do a project for my technology university class worth 30% of my grade. I have to choose an energy technology and prepare a research presentation about it. I've boiled it down to oil or coal, and want to focus in on the associated politics (whether international or local). Now I know that both these techs have a LOT of politics associated with them, and coal is interesting due to the new "clean coal" movement.

Which do you think would make a more interesting topic to study? Thanks! :eek:

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would go with coal because you will find out a lot more stuff you did not know. It is not reported on as much so a lot of the interesting things from it are not as well known.

3. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Personally, I'd choose oil; but not from the stance of how it exists and is used today. I'd write about the end of oil... what will happen to the worlds financial markets when supplies begin to run short and we (USA) have to dip into our oil reserves. What happens to the individual investor who has their money in mutual funds that invest heavily in oil... What happens to companies invested in wind, solar, hydro, electric technologies...

We are on the verge in the next 25-50 years of a complete world transformation. Once the oil dries out.... then what? Makes for a fascinating paper in my opinion, and one you could take in many directions.

4. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a great idea! I think I'll do that. Thanks. :)

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93