Which is more important, superdrive or processor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DigDoug, Jan 3, 2008.

1. DigDoug macrumors newbie

I'm in the market for a used macbook and an on a budget. I can't find the exact machine I want so I have a question. The two configurations I can find at the price I can give is a core duo with a superdrive or a core 2 duo with a combo drive. Which do you guys think is more important, the upgraded c2d processor or a superdrive with the old cd processor? Of course I generally get more RAM and a larger hard drive with the c2d as well, but both are easy to change and can be done later if I go with the core duo machine. Thanks for your input!!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you can always buy an external dvd burner for very cheap, but it might be nice to have in one package if you burn a lot of dvds. honestly, i think you're fine either way, but i would go with the core 2 duo. correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the maximum amount of ram the core duos can use is 2gb, while the core 2 duos can use 3.3.

4. SoLibertyDies macrumors regular

I've had my MBP for almost 2 years now and never have I had to burn a DVD.

then again my Core Duo hasn't lagged behind in performance.

so I don't really know what else to tell you.

5. arj8138 macrumors member

Yea, i would always go processor over optical. You can buy external optical but you cant buy external processors.....but what if you could...hmmm.

If someone did make an "external processor" they would prob. try to make it go through USB 2.0 or something dumb liek that.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The slot loading notebook drives you get in all Macs barring the Mac Pro are pretty dreadful. They are ok for burning the odd disc but are really slow compared to a desktop drive. They are also a lot slower for ripping DVDs if you want your films on iPod or :apple:TV.

Get the C2D and an external firewire tray loading desktop drive if you think you will be burning or ripping a lot of discs.

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'd go with the Core2, due to the allegedly cooler processors. The only reason I get Superdrives (whether on Macs or on PCs) is because most modern OSes don't fit on CDs anymore. That said, you can always reinstall by restoring a disk image to an external drive (in OS X), and you can use nLite or Vlite in Windows to slipstream installations there, so a DVD drive isn't an absolute requirement for those tasks. And of course, you can also buy an external if you need one. So yeah, I'd go with the c2d, just due to it being slightly newer technology. But if I were in a situation where I regularly needed to burn DVDs, it would be a no brainer; I'd go with the c1d.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A combo drive can still read DVDs and therefore OS installation disks :)

9. bartelby macrumors Core

I'd say processor too. In the 3 1/2 years of owning a PowerBook with a Superdrive I've only burned 5 DVDs.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

processor to an extent. i mean i wouldnt pay a premium to get just a little more speed.

it really depends what your needs are tbh.

out of those 2 id get the c2d SOLEY for the fact it can take more ram.

11. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I say processor. How often are you going to burn DVD anyway. Even if you need to do so you could easily get an external DVD writer for like $100 or less. Processors, however, are permanently soldered into the motherboard and is not upgradable. So go for the best processor you could find and worry about the superdrive later.

12. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

Processor

I'd say processor as well. You'll be using that every time you use your computer, superdrive not so often.

If you really need to burn a DVD, then i'm sure you'll be able to use another computer.

13. ojwk macrumors regular

ojwk

Remember that combo drives can play and read DVDs, read play and burn CDs just like a superdrive. The only thing they can't do is burn DVDs.

There shouldn't really be much need for discussion. Even if you are going to be burning tons of DVDs you will want to get an external firewire burner anyway. The superdrive is only really a nice little extra. The processor, ram and HD are far more important than that! Get the C2D and if in three weeks you really feel the need to burn some DVDs buy a $60 external DVD burner online. The cost of upgrading the RAM and HD surpass this cost completely, not to mention the CD processor you will be stuck with.

In short I would get the C2D without hesitation. :D

14. DigDoug thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks everyone. sounds like everyone has the same opinion, so makes it an easy choice. I really don't know how often I would burn DVD's...would just be the occasional now and then. Great forum here, I've been reading and learning a lot since I'm a Mac newbie.

15. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Step 1. Buy the combo C2D and an external HD.

Step 2. Forget about DVDs

Step 3. There is no step 3 :p