Which is more important when customising?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tzread, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tzread macrumors newbie

Just wondered what makes more of a difference in a laptop, More Ram, a faster processor or a better Graphics/video card?

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It depends on what your intended use is

3. tzread thread starter macrumors newbie

Well a bit of gaming, a bit of design but mainly just a work horse.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

well, since this is a MBP forum, I assume we are discussing the available options

processor: Available upgrades are small. Only worth it if you need every last percent of power/performance
    RAM: Going from 4GB to 8GB is useful in the long term. However apple's upgrade option is horribly overpriced.
    Graphics/video: can't be upgraded, unless you count going from 13'' to 15'' an "upgrade." Valuable if you want to game, also for some graphics intensive applications

Hard disc: Upgrading to a SSD is awesome!

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

What applications are you planning on running simultaneously? What would constitute your daily work?

6. tzread thread starter macrumors newbie

well i would be running photoshop a lot probably simultaneously with word, internet or some of the other usual programs. Other than that a bit of gaming but that would be on its own and not running anything else. Also the design i would rarely use just every now and again for my uni work. Daily work would be internet, watching a few videos using Microsoft office and sometimes editing photos.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

As thundersteele mentioned, the 8 GB upgrade for $50 is a no-brainer. Don't do it via Apple and get your memory from something like NewEgg or Crucial. (I am assuming you're in the US. If you're in the UK, then www.crucial.com/uk)

For playing games a discrete graphics card is a must. I've tried playing games on my 2011 13" MBA and it's a pain. So that means you should be looking at a 15" MBP or bigger. Any of the processors will be fine for your needs and the difference between the graphics cards (6750m vs 6770m) is also not something that you would notice.

Frankly I think the base 15" MBP would suit your needs perfectly and would be great if you upgraded the RAM yourself. If you're feeling flush, I would spend the extra on a SSD and, again, install it yourself. Upgrading RAM or the hard drive in the MBP is very easy in case you're not comfortable with that sort of thing.

8. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

Well u can't upgrade Graphics on MBP, CPU imho is needed but u won't be able to tell that much of a difference unless u upgrade to an SSD. Ram is dirt cheap so theres no reason in getting atleast 8gb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.