Which is more likely to replace iphone? Apple Store or Apple Support?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by farkis644, Jul 8, 2009.

1. farkis644 macrumors newbie

I have a 16g White 3G that is defective. It has a couple of problems with it. First, it has cracks in the back where the usb connection is, but it also has a cracked screen in the front due to humidity (thats what i am telling them). I have apple care protection on the phone. I talked to apple support and they did a write up on my case. They said the cracks on the back makes the phone defective, so in turn they will most likely replace the phone for free. I made a appointment for genius bar tomm. My question is, Who is more likely to replace my phone for free? Genius or send it in to Apple? I just dont want to pay $199 for a new phone. Thank you for your advice....

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

How does the front glass screen crack due to humidity again.

3. farkis644 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont know, I left my phone in the car on a hot day while i ran into the mall and when i came back i had a crack going up the side of the screen. I dont know, its really odd, But that has nothing to do with my question, Thanks though for your concern....The main thing is the hair line cracks going up the back. Apple Care gives you one free screen replacement anyways so I am not worried about that.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Would you mind providing a source for that information? I don't think that it is the case. You left your phone in your car on a hot day, sounds like it is your fault not Apple's.

5. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

I'd say it's more Apple's fault. Glass shouldn't be breaking just due to heat.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What orifice was this pulled out of? This is not true.

That's what I am telling them? You sound like so many others who screwed up and will try and get Apple to eat the phone.

Pretty sure you won't get a new phone out of them with a cracked screen.

7. farkis644 thread starter macrumors newbie

its not about the screen really....its about the hair line cracks on the back thats apple said is a defect....i guess im just gonna go to the apple store tomm and see what happeneds....i just didnt know if people have had more success with one or the other...

8. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Try the apple store first, if that does not work try apple support

9. davyreins macrumors 6502

I've heard from one of my friends who works at the local apple store that they aren't supposed to replace the phones with those hairline cracks unless a piece actually broke off (unlike those gray cracks you sometimes see on the side or other places). That said, it probably has variation from store to store and especially from genius to genius.

10. farkis644 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry Cool guy....APPLE told me on the phone that because I bought the extended care, they replace one screen at no cost because of my circumstances....maybe they were full of it....Dont worry, My money is on you because you sound very very knowledgeable....

11. Mugambo macrumors 6502

Mugambo

Most of the replacements are case/store/genius specific.
    Cannot draw a general line to categorize grounds for replacement.
    I had to visit 2 apple stores to get my white iphone replaced with a NEW one! :D
    Was worth it in the end.
    For the most part, they give you an iPhone from a white box which has the phone only.
    When the store has run out of them, they ask you to come back later. If you insist and again based on the situation you'll be given a new one.

Good luck