Which is more likely? Want to get community opinion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cellocello, Dec 26, 2008.

?

Which is more likely?

1. an iPhone "HD" (higher res screen, faster performance, etc.)

17 vote(s)
    51.5%
  2. an iPhone "Nano" (lower res screen, smaller size, etc.)

16 vote(s)
    48.5%
  1. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I'm half-curious as to what the community's overall consensus is.

2. TheMBC macrumors 6502

I think that an iPhone nano is more probable, I don't see Apple adding a yet MORE expensive "HD" version. But hey, who knows?

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I voted Nano, because Apple already has a fantastic smartphone and is doing very well in the smartphone market. I don't see a market for an HD smartphone, although one may develop in the future (and on that basis, Apple might make one and try to "create" the market). But overall, I think having two smartphones would be counterproductive: they'd be marketing two products to essentially the same group.

I can certainly see an iPhone HD in the future, but I do not see it as a distinct model from the iPhone. I think it would be the natural progression of the regular iPhone.

OTOH, there will always be a market for simple, cheap cell phones, like what the iPhone Nano would (presumably) be. Such a product would also be a "gateway" device to Apple products, imo, which would help sales of higher-end products.

From a business POV, I think entering the consumer cell phone market makes more sense than entering a nearly non-existant market. Or maybe they'll announce the next-gen iPhone will be HD and a Nano! :D

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I believe the nano would be more likely - I don't see an iPhone HD anytime soon...

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Will the nano have a smaller screen? If so, it's less likely. Or at least it's going to have reduced features. Internet on a smaller touch screen won't cut it.
    There's a lower limit size in which the finger gets too big in relation to a small touch screen for example. Yes, you could get an Apple nano-iPhone, but i'd think they'd rather have a higher-density screen, or at least going OLED.
    at some point push resolution independence perhaps?
    If they bring out a tablet, then they could nudge developers to think about the problem. Would be an interesting addition to the App Store also, if they started using the iTunes App Store for other apps, in a kind of Valve's Steam like way. Side tracked.

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Isn't that kind of implied? iPod nano has waaaay less features that iPod touch...

7. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

It amazes me to see the "iphone HD" thing up there.... I mean, come on... it's pointless. I know they could improve the performance a bit but they won't be putting an HD screen in an iphone anytime soon.

It's more likely to see a cheaper nano version of the iphone, particularly since they announced a cheaper version would becoming out. How do you think they'll make a cheaper version? DUH.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

None are more likely.

Except for the faster performance.

9. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i dont think the iPhone nano is likely at all... that said, it is more likely than HD iPhone imo... unless just a silent speed and maybe(not so silent) storage bump makes it hd...

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I think a 32 GB iPhone is definitely in the cards for the near future. Now that they have single 32 GB chips available, I see no reason why Apple would not incorporate them into the iPhone - and then subsequently upgrade the iPod Touch to 64 GB. :p ;) :D

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Neither, but to answer the OP's question I voted for the more likely iPhone nano...

12. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

im really hoping on that. my 8gb is just driving me nuts, i love havinga ll my music with me, tahts just 20 gigs so a 32 gb would do me perfection

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

It is possible to do, and the iPod touch is already 32 GB so the precedent has been set, so I see no reason for Apple not to introduce this as an update to the product line. Let's hope it's sooner rather than later.

14. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah, im also counting on sooner, my phone is just been abused so much too, i don;t know how much longer it will last...

15. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Hopefully it will be able to hold out long enough for ya... ;)

16. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Why aren't you totally curious?

17. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

He is doing a survey.

For Steve Jobs.

Actually, he's Steve Jobs himself.

18. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

If I were Steve Jobs moonlighting on MR, I'd wear a scary hockey mask too.

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Actually it reminded me of one of those Shy Guys from Super Mario 2. ;) :D :cool:

20. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I think the Nano would be more likely simply because of all of the evidence present at this time...

21. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

:D Ha Ha,

Your pirate finder icon scares me too

22. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thank you, it's my "Hackintosh" avatar - which I started using, for the record, before the "hackintosh" computer projects became popular. ;) :D

23. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

why go smaller when you can go bigger and better?

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Keep in mind that when it comes to portable devices, smaller is usually more desirable. I for one am glad my current cell phone isn't the same size (or bigger) than cell phones from 5 years ago, I'm glad current iPods are not as big as the 1G iPods and that MacBooks are not the same thickness and weight of their iBook predecessors from several years ago... :p ;) :cool:

25. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Yeah, everyone knows bigger is better in the cell phone market:
    [​IMG]

Wait, which way does time go?