Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben.D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2015
It's not like you won't enjoy your experience. It will be an excellent note-taking device if anything else. But my argument was that if you wanted a laptop experience, and wanted to do light gaming, the Macbook would have been the better choice. And a pure tablet experience would be better enjoyed on the iPad or an Android tablet.

Anyways, enjoy your new purchase. If all else, you have 2 weeks to change your mind :D

One more thing, have you considered a Chromebook? I would have gotten one had I not needed something like the Macbook to program on. I know you said you wanted to do some gaming but it's just another thing to consider if you could weigh your needs and wants.

But anyways, the deal is done. But for anyone else in the same boat.

Question for OP: While it's a bit late to ask, what is your field of study if I may ask? That could have a bearing on your choice.

I'm majoring in political science; lots of essay typing, online research, and book reading (probably a bulk online). Yes, you're right, I do have the 2 weeks, and honestly, I may just go ahead on a return. Though the device is amazing in concept, it's only great when it works. I'm experiencing too many annoying problems which I've been reading are common among Surface users - blue screens, battery sleep problem, graphic driver crashes, keyboard not working consistently, excessive light bleed just to name a few. It's evident that the Surface Pro 4 is still a beta product.

However, I still can't justify the Macbook Air with the inferior display. It's not horrible by any means (better than most Windows laptops), but side by side to the Surface and other Macbooks, the display is an embarrassment. Maybe I'll wait to see the 2016 models... just sick of waiting on a non-existent release date.

akimoriRyuuji

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2015
Well, that was fast.
Hmm. Well its a 900p display, so yeah its better than HD but not quite 1080p or retina.
Honestly, I'm not as impressed by the whole retina thing. It looks great on my iPad but I don't really think about it and it's not too jarring a difference. It is a difference, but not a big deal for me.

Well, if not the Macbook Air there's the pro. That'll play your games a bit better too. Has retina, more battery, etc. Just more price tag.

But if you can't get over the screen, then try a Windows-powered laptop (ugh) like the Dell XPS 13 or whatever.
I would not recommend the Macbook at all. (The Macbook, the bad one that just came out; not the Macbook Air/Pro)

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Only the worst kind of apple kool-aid drinker would recommend the air over the SP4. Also, I've had way more issues and frustrations on El Capitan than I have with Win10. I know it's a fun theme around here to bash Windows but I have been very impressed with Windows 10 and I hardly think "still really crappy Windows 10" is accurate. That is a comment made by somebody whose never used it, or hates change and only used it for a day. As far as I'm concerned the SP4 is the superior choice. Too each their own though.
That's your opinion, but you make it sound like facts. I have had no issues with El Capitan. I cannot stand Windows 10 and I prefer 7.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
Honestly Windows 10 isn't bad for devices like SP4, but it's pretty terrible for everything else without an actual touchscreen. Why they stripped the basic controls like windows update and personalization options (along with resolution/display settings) out of the desktop mode and made them available only in extremely simplified interface with huge buttons designed exclusively for touchscreens to use with big fingers (lol) is beyond me. That's just a waste of screen space and pure frustration when trying to find something a little more advanced in those boxes. They even managed to screw up the default volume controls and stripped them out from frequently used easy access/shortcut to sound settings/effects. Cause why not make it worse. And bigger. After all, size matters right? lol.

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I've been looking at the Surface 4 too - only thing keeping me from buying is the OS. I have no idea how to do anything with it. In terms of compute power, the Skylake processor in the Surface is the clear winner - for now. Myself, I'm waiting - and my patience is limited in this wait - for Apple to put Skylake into their laptops. They're behind the curve in this effort. Assuming the wait doesn't take too long, I'll make my buying decision when the new laptops are available, if this drags on into summer I'll pick up a Surface 4.

Intel haven't released many of the chips apple uses yet (only really teh ones that go in teh airs so far), your frustration with waiting a few months for the correct chips to be released is ridiculous apple will use the chips when they get them.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Only the worst kind of apple kool-aid drinker would recommend the air over the SP4. Also, I've had way more issues and frustrations on El Capitan than I have with Win10. I know it's a fun theme around here to bash Windows but I have been very impressed with Windows 10 and I hardly think "still really crappy Windows 10" is accurate. That is a comment made by somebody whose never used it, or hates change and only used it for a day. As far as I'm concerned the SP4 is the superior choice. Too each their own though.

I just returned my Surface 3 and picked up the MBA for about $75 more than the Surface with 2 pens and a keyboard (had to buy 3 accessories to get a discount)... Already much happier with this purchase as it's a much more solid machine. The Surface locked up a few times in the week I owned it and windows control panel/settings is a utter mess now with a new tablet like GUI layered over old school windows control panel GUI.

Also; I know this isn't the same as a Surface Pro 4 but it couldn't even handle L4D2 (a 5 year old game running on a 10 year old engine) without crashing right as a game starts. As a concept the Surface line is amazing, but it kind of baffling that Windows built devices aren't optimized for better performance.

Last edited:

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I just returned my Surface 3 and picked up the MBA for about $75 more than the Surface with 2 pens and a keyboard (had to buy 3 accessories to get a discount)... Already much happier with this purchase as it's a much more solid machine. The Surface locked up a few times in the week I owned it and windows control panel/settings is a utter mess now with a new tablet like GUI layered over old school windows control panel GUI.

Also; I know this isn't the same as a Surface Pro 4 but it couldn't even handle L4D2 (a 5 year old game running on a 10 year old engine) without crashing right as a game starts. As a concept the Surface line is amazing, but it kind of baffling that Windows built devices aren't optimized for better performance.

The locking up and heavy stuttering type stuff were the same complaints I read a lot of bloggers having that reviewed both Surface 1 and Surface 2. It's cool you can have a touchscreen laptop, but it's still basically an expensive Windows laptop with a worse keyboard.

A few also noted the apparent lack of QC on both devices.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
The Surface locked up a few times in the week I owned it and windows control panel/settings is a utter mess now with a new tablet like GUI layered over old school windows control panel GUI.
It's windows dude. why is this a surprise? lol Their products will never change.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
Well it's been a few years since I owned a windows computer... thought maybe they cleaned up their act.

I also felt the same way, gave them another chance last year, but nope. the OS is so obtuse and bloated and there is literally zero hardware/software synergy like the way Apple does it. It's such a piss poor user experience. The only value that platform has is gaming, I guess.

Ben.D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2015
I also felt the same way, gave them another chance last year, but nope. the OS is so obtuse and bloated and there is literally zero hardware/software synergy like the way Apple does it. It's such a piss poor user experience. The only value that platform has is gaming, I guess.
This. I thought Microsoft's own hardware/software combination would at least allow it to perform better than other manufacturers. Ironically, in my experience, the Surface Pro 4 takes the definition of Windows bugginess to another level; It's the best advertisement for getting a Mac.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
This. I thought Microsoft's own hardware/software combination would at least allow it to perform better than other manufacturers. Ironically, in my experience, the Surface Pro 4 takes the definition of Windows bugginess to another level; It's the best advertisement for getting a Mac.

I really think this is a Skylake issue.

I had a SP3 256/8GB for over half a year, sold it for a rMB 12" (which is also great), then traded an Apple Watch for another SP3 (128GB/4GB i5) - both are very stable.

Kind of sad to see the SP4 is having issues (SB too), but based on Microsofts past performance, I can't imagine they won't get it as stable as the SP3/S3.

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
Have had a SP3 for a while now, and it's a solid machine. The SP4 takes that and turns it up a notch. But I opted to go for an XPS13. I'm guessing you didn't see the new one, because if you did, you might have walked out with it. Think 11" laptop with 13" screen. It's brilliant!

I love my Retina MacBook, but the MBA is outdated. I have a 13" work issued machine, and I can't wait to ditch it, mainly for its horrible screen. YMMV.

Thank you everyone for your help. Just as an update, I ended up choosing the Surface after comparing the two in-store.
Seeing and comparing them, I just couldn't justify getting the Macbook.
I was kind of expecting the Surface to be "just another Windows laptop", but the hardware is unbelievable. It actually makes Windows look and feel good unlike others I saw in store (HP, Dell, Asus, etc.).

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Have had a SP3 for a while now, and it's a solid machine. The SP4 takes that and turns it up a notch. But I opted to go for an XPS13. I'm guessing you didn't see the new one, because if you did, you might have walked out with it. Think 11" laptop with 13" screen. It's brilliant!

I love my Retina MacBook, but the MBA is outdated. I have a 13" work issued machine, and I can't wait to ditch it, mainly for its horrible screen. YMMV.

I don't get what the deal with the hate of Non-retina monitors. Retina monitors make for more gpu stressing experience all for a slight crispness. I can read text just fine on the MBA and even play some L4D2 and Portal with no issues. The LG monitor needs to be calibrated but the Samsung one looks great out of the box.

I'm getting the sense that it's a spec thing where the # has to be the highest to make a computer the "best" as opposed to just having a great working device. Can I see the difference between a Retina display and a Non? Yes. But it doesn't make me want to tear my eyeballs out of my head because my photos/videos/texts aren't more pixel packed. It's like people who want 4K screens on phones... why? It's like shoving a Lambo engine in a Toyota Prius body. It's a waste of time and resources

Reactions: jmoore5196

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
It's a personal preference thing. Though my other senses are weakening, my eyes are still pretty good. And after spending time with nicer displays, going back to the MBA is painful. It just looks grainy and washed out, to my eyes. This, especially after using the XPS 13, rMB, and Surface Pros.

But I agree on the desktop side. While I do have 1 4K display, most of mine are 1440p. But I look at those from pretty far away. And anything worse than 1440p is painful.

But it's more than just the resulution: contrast, brightness, color, etc.

I don't get what the deal with the hate of Non-retina monitors. Retina monitors make for more gpu stressing experience all for a slight crispness. I can read text just fine on the MBA and even play some L4D2 and Portal with no issues. The LG monitor needs to be calibrated but the Samsung one looks great out of the box.

I'm getting the sense that it's a spec thing where the # has to be the highest to make a computer the "best" as opposed to just having a great working device. Can I see the difference between a Retina display and a Non? Yes. But it doesn't make me want to tear my eyeballs out of my head because my photos/videos/texts aren't more pixel packed. It's like people who want 4K screens on phones... why? It's like shoving a Lambo engine in a Toyota Prius body. It's a waste of time and resources

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
The point is that retina displays represent a trade-off or compromise: Without a quad-core processor, you can either have a great display or adequate processing power for higher-end creative apps. In my experience, you cannot have both.

I travel constantly, and have to decide whether to take my 11" MBA or 15" rMBP; usually, the length of the trip dictates which one I use for travel. Every time I start lusting after a 13" rMBP so I can pare down to a single portable, I remind myself why I sold the one I bought within 90 days of purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.