Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris7777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
I have found myself on the move more often than I thought recently, and it has me wondering , is the glass screen on the 13" pro, going to be as durable as the one on the basic macbook, or if they are about the same.

The reason I ask, is I have seen several iphones, and touches with cracked screens, plus I read some insane prices on screen replacement on the pros.

We all know the aluminum is more rigid, but does that rigidity come at the cost of being able to flex enough not to crack?

Or all things considered are they both just as durable?

I know the aluminum is going to hold up better in all other respects, but I am a bit concerned if I have to pay nearly as much to replace the screen if it does crack.

otherwise I may get a mac mini ,and a netbook for my portabel needs, but I have been leaning heavily toward a 13" pro, or if not a 13" macbook, but if its my only computer, and it breaks that's my hesitation.

Thanks

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
dropping any of the two would possibly result in broken glass and/or LCDs.
I'd go for the MBP, at least if you hit the screen with something the LCD itself is protected by glass.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I think glass breaking is usually from to much force or hard impacts. I carry a mbp every day and it is much more stable and ridgid then a mb. My fathers mb croacks and moans when picked and flexes a bit. Flexing is a bad thing when it comes to the logic board or Lcd screens.
so that is why I picked up an mbp when I had the chance. And the mbp was much faster in use. Especial with the ssd I've got.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
We all know the aluminum is more rigid, but does that rigidity come at the cost of being able to flex enough not to crack?

Aluminum is a metal. It does not crack under normal, day-to-day circumstances.

It's really not that hard to be careful with your computer. I find myself doing it anyways, despite not being overly concerned about breaking something.

XxEjGxX

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
alu mbp for ruggedness really, average users easily crack the macbook with it being plastic
signature_BasicSmile.jpg

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
alu mbp for ruggedness really, average users easily crack the macbook with it being plastic
signature_BasicSmile.jpg

You really enjoy using this emoticon
signature_BasicSmile.jpg
we get it your cool :cool: ....

As for the Thread Starter, it sounds like you need a toughbook, you can throw these out of a moving vehicle and browse the web once you get it back.

rrmax508.jpg

chris7777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
Aluminum is a metal. It does not crack under normal, day-to-day circumstances.

It's really not that hard to be careful with your computer. I find myself doing it anyways, despite not being overly concerned about breaking something.

I am not talking about the aluminum, I am talking about the glass plate covering the screen that is glued to the aluminum top.

Glass is more brittle than plastic.

I ask because I have carried a palm pilot for years and there is enough flex in it that it doesn't just crack, whereas I have seen several iphones, and ipod touches framed in aluminum that have cracks across their screens.

I am not overly concerned about the body of the notebook pertaining to scratches smudges etc, but if the screen is cracked it becomes useless to me, as a portable workstation. I am leaning toward the pro certainly, but I dont want to have to worry about the screen being cracked if someone bumps into my backpack too hard while walking down the hall.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
I am not overly concerned about the body of the notebook pertaining to scratches smudges etc, but if the screen is cracked it becomes useless to me, as a portable workstation. I am leaning toward the pro certainly, but I dont want to have to worry about the screen being cracked if someone bumps into my backpack too hard while walking down the hall.

Someone would have to bump you pretty hard to break the screen in that way. Let's face it, unlike the iPhone, the MacBooks don't have constantly exposed screens, and when they are exposed, they're safely on a desk. Just get a skin/ MacBook bag/ rucksack or whatever and you'll be fine.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
the other thing is that with iphones/touches, the screen is always exposed and the device is easily dropped. on a macbook or macbook pro, the screen is not exposed when not in use, and when in use, isn't in danger of falling (either being on a table or on your lap). plus, you aren't touching the screen all the time. I really wouldn't worry. It'll be about the same on both, so go with the MBP.

you'll be fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.