Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boffo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
Lambeth
I want a computer to use primarily as an iTunes machine connected to my hifi (via AirTunes). I'm very fussy about background noise so I would want it to be basically inaudible. Tiny hard disk sounds like an iPod makes are just about acceptable but any hum or fan noise is totally out of the question.

Are either the MacBook or MacBook Pro going to be quiet enough for me? Which is quietest?

The Air is out of the question due to its lack of disk space. I've read that the iMac is quiet but it's too big, not portable, and I don't want a desktop computer in my living room.

The new computer would replace a headless Mac mini that I control from a Windows laptop via VNC. This works remarkably well but involves a bit too much geeky complexity for my taste.

boffo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
Lambeth
I'd say the MacBook is quieter, but not by much. The MB has only one fan, while the MBP has two.

Mmm, the quieter one is also the cheaper, this is nice.

How would you characterise the noise level of the MacBook in absolute terms? It's difficult to get an idea in the Apple Store.

For example, my Windows laptop makes an audible whirring/whooshing sound that's audible over 3-4m away. That makes it too loud!

happylau

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
I have a Macbook Pro, using it for general surfing, listening to music, etc the noise has NEVER bothered me. The only time the fans were loud (that was ONE TIME) was when I pushed the CPU to almost 80% when I compiled a program with MatLab while I did other stuff too (which doesn't seem like your case).
So in my opinion Macbook Pro is dead silent (less noise than a external HDD reading/writing I'd say).

f1

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
the MBP is quiter, itz almost silent when idle while the Macbook you can hear the fan whirring a bit in a completely silent room.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I'd say the MacBook is quieter, but not by much. The MB has only one fan, while the MBP has two.

This is true, which is why the Macbook should be quieter.
the MBP is quiter, itz almost silent when idle while the Macbook you can hear the fan whirring a bit in a completely silent room.

This is sorta true, however honestly, owning both. Remember that the fans only kick in when they are needed, so...if you don't max out the processor on the Macbook, the fans should be fine. However, the ram, dedicated video card and processor of the Macbook Pro mean that running the same applications on the machines, would produce more noise on the Macbook. But, if you get the Macbook Pro usage up, it's louder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.