Which is the best 15" MBP Configuration for me?

TribeFan1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
So I am in the market for a new 15 inch MacBook Pro. I currently have a non retina 2012 MBP 15" with an upgraded 16 GB of RAM and a 1 TB SSD. It still runs pretty well at 7 years old. But the time has come to upgrade and I plan on doing a build to order. My main uses are browsing, hosting media files, and some Photoshop/Lightroom editing. My current SSD is 20 GB from being full and I would like to run Bootcamp on my new Mac which would take up additional space. I also want this Mac to last for the next 7 years and with the new machines not being user upgradeable like my old one it appears that I'll be spending more up front. So if anyone has any suggestions now which way to go, I would greatly appreciate it

VineRider

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2018
My personal opinion is that 8gb is sufficient. I have 2019 500gb 8gb ram, on a 13" and it is plenty fast. I run windows in a VM and no issues

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
If all of your Lightroom images are on your computer, consider fetrinfm an external SSD and move them there. That wil help free up some space

Reactions: pallymore

pallymore

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
Boston, MA
usb-c or tb3 external nvme drives/enclosures are not that expensive now comparing to what apple charges for storage upgrades. I’d stick with the 512g model, maybe get the ram upgrade (or not, depending on the apps you use) and skip the others