Which is the best cross platform for development?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Wilbor9, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Wilbor9 macrumors newbie

I am starting in the ios programming world,but i dont have a mac(is not possible to i buy one) so i need a cross platform for the development,as i said i'm just start so i dont have much programming skills so the platform need to have a easy to learn language,i will start doing non-game apps so the i will need a platform good for non-game apps,which is the best cross platform for me?

2. Punicasoft macrumors member

3. 1458279 Suspended

I've done the hackintosh, but I have to say that because Apple updates the OS so often, that you have to redo the whole thing sometimes.

With my last build, I had to buy the OS using a different machine (Apple won't sell it retail and you can buy it without being on a Mac) I had to update the bios on the MB and that require a < 2g thumb drive which was hard to find that small. Overall, I was a major pain. Now, if I want to upgrade that build, I have to wait for all the hacks to be made and tested.

Not so great.

A mac mini will do the job just fine. I hear you can rent a mac in the cloud. You can find a use mac mini and run that.

Several options.

4. truehybridx macrumors member

i use a hackintosh i built using tonymacx86 and its been on 10.8.3 waiting on updates for awhile :p (i see no reason to bump up to 10.8.4)

Apple doesnt really update that often, and when they do its usually safe to ignore it, Xcode wont magically stop working because you havent updated (even lion is still in the loop for xcode updates i believe)

You could also use Virtual Box, if whatever computer you have now has decent specs.

0_0 you can rent a mac in the cloud?

5. 1458279 Suspended

Your right, IIRC, My last upgrade was a must do to get the new Xcode to work, but it's not always that way.

The rent a mac in the cloud is something I've heard a few times, but never checked into. http://www.macincloud.com/

I guess it's a remote desktop thru a browser, but I really don't know. It sounded like it could be great for someone on a budget and just checking things out. I've heard of prices in the $20/month range. Someone could do this for a few months and see how they like it with a small investment.

6. firewood macrumors 604

The best would be to get a recent Mac, and use something like apportable or xamarin for cross-platform deployment.

Since you can't do that, and you aren't an experienced coder, you might want to learn JavaScript and use phonegap to deploy portably. After you finish your app, rented local or remote Mac can be used (via VNC or Remote Desktop) for on device testing and submission to the iOS App Store.

7. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Nope - starting with Xcode 5 - ML and Mavericks only.