Which is the best hardshell case for Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jotti, Oct 4, 2008.

1. jotti macrumors newbie

2. Mr Nice Guy macrumors member

Mr Nice Guy

I wouldn't recommend using a hard shell case at all. I think that it ruins the beautiful aluminium design. But if you have decided to go that way, then I would definitely buy the black case :)

3. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

I've seen these too and am wondering what people think.

Also, does the machine retain more heat as a result of being in these things, since the heat isn't dissipating via the aluminium as normal? Effect of this, if so?

4. Mr Nice Guy macrumors member

Mr Nice Guy

I know some hard shells have ventilation slots, which prevent the Macbook pro from overheating..

5. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

+1, a hard shell case will destroy the carefully thought out design and beauty of the machine.

What's the reason for using a hard shell? I recommend a nice soft sleeve to transport the machine in then use the machine in all it's original beauty. =)

6. greenchilegirl macrumors newbie

speck's ok

I actually like my new Speck hardshell (got the groovy purple one) but I agree that the MBP is much better-looking in all it's aluminum-cased glory.

However, it is my brand-new baby so I'm just a little overly-cautious and more concerned about scratching it than maybe I need to be.

As for ventilation - the Speck does have a pretty good-sized ventilation grill on the bottom and nothing has melted yet so it seems to be doing its job.

My only complaint (and this is a "duh" on my part) is that the Speck got scratched up right out of the box. It's hard plastic, but plastic nonetheless and even though I handle my MBP with kid gloves - the case already has a lot of minor scratching. In retrospect, a case with a matte finish instead of a glossy one might have been a better idea. But the purple is still pretty darn cool.

7. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

8. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

Incase by a mile. I like the black one, but if red is your thing, go for it. The case fits really well, and has a rubberish matte finish which is nice for handling.