Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I installed Windows under Bootcamp. I read that to run Windows under Mac OS, Parallels is the best due to fast performance. If I only use Linux under Mac OS, which emulator is the best in terms of performance and stability?

Reactions: jagooch

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They all offer trial periods. I recommend you try and determine which one breast fits your needs

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Which one do you use?
I don't use any right now and my usage is immaterial, you have specific needs and expectations. Its best to do your own research and come to your own determination.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I've got several *NIX instances I run under Parallels, in addition to Win10, and it runs terrific. I generally run one or more of those, in some combination with Docker containers, and native MacOS services (all development related). I'm currently on Parallels 14, I have a 15 license on deck, but I've been busy, so I've locked myself down on Mojave (10.14.6) and P14, just to avoid any hassles while I'm in high churn mode :D

There are free options like Virtual Box that __may__ suffice, but generally the two main commercial players, Parallels and VMWare, are doing to offer better performance, more features, and additional support channels.

Every once in a while, I'll review VMWare Fusion again, when there's a major Parallels update, just to see if it's a better option (and generally they offer competitive upgrades), but I always wind up sticking with Parallels.

Parallels has a slick feature (Coherence) where you can run the VM OS in separate windows in the same workspace as your MacOS windows (vs. the entire OS being constrained in a single window), so in the screen shot below, that's this browser in the background (MacOS Chrome) and a FireFox in Debian and SSMS in Windows 10, all running in their own "OS windows", but all in the same workspace :)

1582039524408.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.