Which is the best setup?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RatHat, Jul 2, 2011.

1. RatHat macrumors member

RatHat

Which would be better to extend the network through a large house?

1. Have a Airport Extreme upstairs and extend to another Extreme downstairs then use Airport Expresses in rooms with speakers throughout
    2. Have an Airport Extreme upstairs and extend to an Airport Express downstairs and use other Airport Expresses to run speakers in each room
    Upstairs is where the cable internet would come in, and the family would use wireless on iPads and computers throughout the house.

I am moving into a new house and want to set up a really good wireless network, so any help would be appreciated.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There is no way to tell what is "best" because wireless is picky depending on construction, location, etc. You will not need an Airport express in each room. Buy things incrementally and stop when coverage is in line with your expectations.

3. Herdfan macrumors 6502

As miles stated, there are too many variables to give you a specific answer.

But I can tell you than in a 5,500 square foot house with 3,000 up and 2,500 in a walkout basement, I use an Extreme on the main floor and an Express in the basement and have no coverage issues.

Are you looking at hardwiring the extenders?

4. OmegaRed1723 macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

Remember that every time you extend a network you halve the throughput (unless its hard-wired), so if you can get away with using just one AEBS, that might be preferable. Also, if the rooms you plan on putting Express units in have adequate coverage from the AEBS, you can set them to simply join the network rather than extend it. It will preserve some throughput will still allow you to use AirPlay speakers.

5. RatHat thread starter macrumors member

RatHat

Yes, my thought is to hard wire the upstairs base station in to the downstairs AEBS, then have the Expresses linked wirelessly.

These houses have thick brick/block walls, and we have problems in the current house, hence the idea to have two base stations.

6. chrisc983 macrumors member

You can also try using a power line kit and connect an AE to it in bridge mode but as stated above a hardwire run would be the best if possible.

7. OmegaRed1723 macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

As others have mentioned, hard-wiring two AEBS's together to create what's called a roaming network is the best solution. You won't lose any throughput and should have ample coverage all over the house. From there, you can place Express units where you want speakers, having those units join your network.

8. RatHat thread starter macrumors member

RatHat

That settles it then. Two base stations it is, hard wired together.