Which is the best southern US city to visit?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cromulent, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I'm kinda thinking about going to the US this summer but want to go somewhere hot (i'm thinking 35 degrees+ hot here :)) so I was wondering which southern US city you guys would recommend?

I'm looking for somewhere pretty modern with a good friendly vibe to it. Somewhere cool basically. Any suggestions and reasons why that place is the best would be great.

Also would $2,000 be a reasonable amount to take on holiday if I was staying for a month? I have no idea how much things cost in the US.

2. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

What do you consider "South". I'm from DC, and people here consider themselves in the middle. People from the South think that we're Northerners, and people from the North think that we're Southerners...

DC is a pretty cool town... can be pretty expensive... $2k for a month seems alright, depending on your living situation. That will eat up a lot of your cash.

How old are you, and what do you enjoy doing?

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

You seriously want 35C? Well then, I'd recommend Phoenix.

4. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

22 and pubbing / clubbing in the evening. In the days I like looking round at historical monuments and doing the tourist thing I guess. Museums would rank highly on my to do list.

I consider the desert parts the south :). Texas and so on. Was half thinking about visiting death valley.

I'm not sure just how much travelling I would want to do. I can't drive so that is not an option and flying everywhere is a pain in the arse. I'd much rather just find somewhere I can go to places within a 50 mile radius by coach or something.

Edit : I'll be on my own so would rather avoid "dodgy" areas.

5. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Does it have to be in the south? During the summer time many northern cities will be plenty hot too (New York, Chicago, etc.) Though I imagine if you visit a southern city though, your expenses should be a little less.

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. Pity Phoenix isn't much of a tourist town, though.

I'd say San Diego, but that's going to be way more than 2K and won't be 35 C. Charleston, SC comes to mind. . . DC is a good suggestion if you can stand the humidity (also true for Charleston). But 2K for a month--that's going to be tough!

7. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well I could do $4k I guess. As I said I have no idea what living expenses are in the US :).

That is assuming the exchange rate stays the same between sterling and the dollar.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Any reason why the south, other than temperature? (Trust me, we can get plenty hot here in California). ;)

I've never been, but maybe St. Louis? or New Orleans?

As far as budget goes, would you be planning on staying with friends, a youth hostile, or hotel?

9. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

10. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Florida - Miami
    Texas - San Antonio
    California - San Diego
    Tennessee - Nashville

11. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Austin, Texas? Never been there, but I've heard great things about it.

12. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Austin is great, but apart from the night life... i think theres more to do in San Antonio (especially for a tourist)

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

are you going to stay in hotels? it will greatly vary by city but you could end up paying anywhere from $70 to $125 a night and still not be in anything special

do you like your heat dry or humid? Go southeast for humid and southwest for dry

14. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Are you looking for a beach? If not, consider new orleans. Not so much a club atmosphere, but some great bars. The french quarter is actually quite nice during the day (and quite fun during the night) and that area of the city is extremely walkable. There are also tour companies that will pick you up at your hotel and take you on plantation tours and airboat swamp rides (expensive but a great time). If you're going with friends and don't mind a little grime, consider the crescent city.

Keep in mind, though, that New Orleans in the summertime is almost unbearably hot and muggy. Places near the beach are just as hot but the sea breeze keeps things comfortable.

15. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Heat, pubs and history?

Go for New Orleans. The main tourist areas (with the pubs and the history) are fine (not dodgy).

Bourbon street is almost 24-hour. (Finding bars open past 2am in the US is difiicult) Plenty of touristy shopping. Good selection of museum-type activites. Great food and friendly people.

Also, if you go last week of April/first week of May it's Jazz Fest. Ginormous music festival with no open container laws.

16. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It seems to me there really isn't much to do there. A couple caves here and there, the Alamo, probably a few other things I've forgotten about, but I don't believe that SA is the best place to go for tourism.

Now, temperature-wise, it hits 30C+ a lot of days in the summer.

18. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

Living costs will vary depending if you want to rent a small apartment for a month or if you are going to hop around from hotels and such. I would say if you like heat, take a small small road-trip ( bus if need be) around the mid west. The Grand Canyon is awesome, and its neighbored by several great states with several great cities. Travel costs to each shouldnt cost you too too much and Its very warm ( depending on when you are wanting to visit)

If not there go to Florida- bests... Miami(epensive), Tampa/ St.Petersburg(smaller), Orlando(fun night life and Theme Parks) (all are great.)

And like said before Wash. D.C. and Philly are great Vacation Spots as well
    goodluck

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If you're traveling in the summer, there's no reason not to visit NY or Chicago (both are plenty warm during the summer). SF won't be too warm (I always get a kick out of the tourists who come in T-shirts and shorts only to realize that SF is still 65F in the summer :p ;)), but San Diego/LA will be.

If you're looking for exciting and interesting at the same time (and don't want to be mugged) I say go for NY. It's the safest (or amongst the safest) cities of its size and will be hot during the summer months.

20. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

DC is by far the best city for museums, historical monuments and culture. We have the Smithsonian, more monuments than any other American city. We have bars in Georgetown, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Bethesda, Arlington. It's also a fairly younger city. You could get a place in Maryland or Virgina somewhere for much less than you would in DC.

New York, while not a southern city, is an awesome place for a first timer to go to. There's so much to do. But VERY expensive...

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'll be the third one to jump on New Orleans.

You'll never get bored in NOLA. Just thinking about it makes me want to go back so bad.

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

23. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

New Orleans, St. Louis, and Atlanta are all fun. Since I'm from TN, I'll also throw Memphis, Nashville, & Knoxville into the ring (I've lived in all 3). Chattanooga is also good -- Ruby Falls, Rock City, and a huge aquarium. Not sure any city in TN could be vacationed in for a month, but they would be fun for a week or so.

Though it would be considerably more expensive, have you considered visiting more than one city/state?

24. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Why not tour the south?

Start in DC and work your way down the coast.

Hit Virginia Beach, VA, Wilmington, NC, Myrtle Beach, SC, Charleston, SC, Savannah, GA, and so on.

All will definitely be warm enough, have plenty of history and Museums, and expept for DC, all are at the BEACH! Plenty of nightlife, good food, and culture too.

25. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you like museums then it has to be DC. You can spend a month and still not see everything in the Smithsonian, and the best thing is that it's free.

Also DC has pretty good nightlife, especially in Adams Morgan and Georgetown.

NW DC is for the most part perfectly safe, and the subway makes it easy to get around.