Which is the better computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macrbest, Aug 16, 2013.

1. macrbest macrumors newbie

I have a 15.4 in mbp
    2.66ghz
    4g ram
    320gb hd
    9400m and 9600m Geforce
    1066 mhz

vs.

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD103LL/A?

Apart from the 1600mhz and the i7 processor is the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB GDDR5 memory better than my 9600M?

Would you consider this to be a trade up?

I will eagerly wait for all of your replies.

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Well the newer stuff is, 90% of the time, better than the old stuff when it comes to technology.

According to them, the consensus is that the 650 is definitely better.

3. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Your computer is a 2009 Macbook Pro, so the performance increase would be huge.

Geekbench scores of your MBP:
    32-bit: 3621 points
    64-bit: 3996 points

Geekbench scores of the linked MBP
    32-bit: 10854
    64-bit: 11839

So as you can see, it is a really large performance increase (almost 3 times better) in Geekbench.

The RAM is also much faster. The graphics card is a big leap forward.

The 650M is using the newest Kepler architecture.

It is definitely a trade up.

4. leman, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

leman macrumors 604

The previous-gen Intel integrated graphics is faster than 9600M, not even starting about 650M ;)

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This isn't even a fair comparison....The new Mac will blow the older out of the water...Things have moved along...:)

6. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I think that would be a great upgrade. But I certaintly woudn't pay $1800 for it. Get a 15" rMBP best buy special for about the same price. Actually it's $100 more ($1900) but you get a 256gb SOLID STATE, 8GB ram, and the Retina screen, for that price.

7. macrbest thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you still get a long battery life even though you cannot switch between lower and higher tier graphics?

I have a feeling that your answer to this question is going to be they are more efficient now days and as a result will still give me a good battery life.

Not that I really have a choice, but are any parts of the computer repairable by me after the warranty is up? Or are these completely sealed?

Can you at least change out the battery and ram?

If I get the standard 2.6 ghz with 4 g of ram what would be a good after market company for 2 x 4g ram replacement?

You are one hundred percent sure that the 650M GEforce is significantly better than the 9600M. I am stuck in my old ways!

8. gobigorange macrumors member

It does still switch. Although now it switches between the discrete GPU and intel integrated graphics.

9. leman macrumors 604

It does it automatically, depending on the demands of the applications

As most laptops - depends on what you are trying to do.

RAM and HDD are easily accessible. battery is a bit trickier. You should let Apple do it, the price is more then fair. I mean, the battery will last you three years easily.

Doesn't really matter. Many people swear by Corsair, Crucial or OWC

I don't get what are you trying to say. Are you really doubting that an ancient low-end GPU is slower than a modern mid-range one? I will say it again - the 9600M is slower even then a current MacBook Air with its integrated graphics. Just go and look up some benchmarks i you are so sceptical, its all out there.