Which is the better deal for art school?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Mar 24, 2011.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I have a relative that got accepted to Parsons (NYC) with $18K per year scholarship for first two years and School of Visual Arts with less of a scholarship.

I know SVA is very well known for it's art degree and its connections, but Parsons is not shabby either but is offering far more in scholarship monies.

Unfortunately, both schools are rather expensive and its a bachelor's in fine art we are talking about and not something more marketable like a bachelor's degree in electronic engineering or accounting.

Art students and graduates, which school would you pick in this situation? I assume being a fine artist these days is not the highest paying job, but if you are an artist, it's hard to do anything else and settle for a safe job. Anyway, I applaud anybody with the guts enough to go for their talent and passion in the fine arts, even if a more mundane job gets the bigger paycheck and steadier work.

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

FWIW I was a design major and my degree is still a Bachelor of Fine Arts. There's a lot more than true fine artists under this degree. Graphic design, interior design, multimedia, etc. That is to say there are plenty of jobs under this path if you are talented and dedicated.

I don't have an opinion on the schools though.

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Thanks for the info. I think this is a good path and it sounds safer. If this were my daughter I would steer more towards the commercial side of art, but still get the skills for sculpture, oils, watercolor, etc.

I did have a friend who got a steady gig for many years in graphic design but he wanted to be a famous oil painter like his father. I don't know if he wasn't as talented, or not as connected, but the son is a great painter much like his father was but didn't get the same recognition. I would think with a famous dad, it would help the son get connections, but there's only so much room in the world for "famous oil painter". I am not even an artist but the idea of making a living, and a great one to boot, by painting with oils sounds like the ultimate dream job. His work was basically spoken for before he finished his pieces.

It's a great thing when a single piece of art goes for more than most cars, but I think those types of artists are probably very, very rare, but correct me if I am wrong. I am sure the odds of hitting it big, with fame, is easier in the 21st century than it may have been with the French impressionists or any other art movement from that time period or before.

4. ender land macrumors 6502a

An 18k scholarship per year is not meaningful without seeing the actual tuition costs ;)

It would have nearly completely paid for my undergrad but it might not even cover 50% of this school? I'm not sure.

5. 63dot, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

SVA with all fees and supplies seems to be just under $35K from what I can gather. Parsons is $37K, but with supplies that can probably approach forty grand.

I was just wondering if one school stood out way over the other. It seems in that area of the east coast, there is also Pratt, Rhode Island School of Design, Cooper Union, and Columbia University. And if you factor in art/BFA film school, then there's also NYU.

Also, are these art schools just for rich kids? Can't one get just as good an art education at SUNY? And for art, isn't it what you put into it, or do the really expensive art schools have something that is a "must do" experience with famous faculty? I am not an artist so I have absolutely no idea.

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Well I personally believe in this path, it's a mix of talent, dedication and the right professors. I got in to RISD but could not afford to go. The school I ended up at was really small, with a handful of amazing professors that helped make me what I am. I personally know a few Pratt and RISD grads... some are talented, some really aren't. You've got to have it on your own regardless of where you go.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

One thing to keep in mind is that Parsons (as well as other schools with art programs) employs mostly part time faculty. That means those same faculty can also teach at NYU, SUNY or SVA--though Parsons seems to be able to grab some big names to work with students.

Another factor to consider is that its often cheaper for students to find their own housing in Brooklyn or Queens than contract with the university for on campus housing. University housing contracts usually extend for the Fall and Spring semesters -- so the student is on the hook for that amount of time.

Are the schools just for rich kids? Well, personally I wouldn't go into serious debt to any of the institutions you've mentioned--but if you've got enough grants and scholarships to cover it (aid you don't have to pay back) then I'd say go for it. The art community in NYC is great.