Which is the better deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w8ing4intelmacs, Oct 21, 2008.

1. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

Refurb Apple MacBook Pro 2.53 Ghz stock (prev gen) for $1499

Brand new in box Apple Black Macbook 2.4GHz stock for $999

Which is the better deal?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If the MBP is previous generation, it's 2.5GHz, not 2.53. The MBP is a better deal, IMO.

3. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Definitely the $999 one ;) But assuming you mean $1999, I'd go for the 1499 unless you'll be lusting after that new design the whole time. Its a great machine, but it's not aluminum and glass :D

edit: ignore the pricing stuff i said before... way to not read :D

Definitely go MBP, for reasons i said above.

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

+1.

5. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

Well, it depends what you need to do. It's the same question whenever anyone asks what they should get.
    We can't suggest which to get if we don't know what you need it for; what size screen you would prefer and if you need integrated or discrete graphics and so on...?

6. makowb macrumors member

I totally agree. There's no point in spending the extra 500$ if you're not going to use it. I could easily spend an extra 500$ (after taxes and such) and go from the high end macbook to the low end macbook pro, but I hardly play games, will have an external monitor negating the screen size, and don't really need firewire.

The biggest question isn't what's a better deal, they're both good deals, the question is why is one a better deal than the other? If you are not going to be doing a lot of video editing, gaming, or photoshop I recommend the macbook. Spend the 500$ on a huge monitor when you take it home, or a ps3, or a 360, lol.

7. w8ing4intelmacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Either would be fine for my needs. I like the screen real estate on the mbp, and it has more frills, although it's harder to upgrade the hd.

By better deal, I mean which one would retain a greater percentage of their monetary value a year from now?

8. tbae12 macrumors member

The previous generation MBP is the better deal. You get more for your money.