Which is the better stand for a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hush, Sep 22, 2007.

1. hush macrumors member

Hi, I am planning on buying a stand or any kind of dock for my new macbook pro 15"... any clue about which is the best for this machine?

What do you think about this one? (let's avoid the fact of the price)

http://www.balmuda.net/products/c/floater/index.html

Cheers,

2. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Seems like your MBP would get quite hot in that (The fans vent where the stand is). I've been researching these too, so far i like the Griffin Elevator so i can eventually have my MBP and an External display side by side, utilizing both. I've heard people using the elevator have see 15+ degree drops in temperature.

3. Kendall015 macrumors regular

I have the elevator, and it's great...It brings the MBP up to eye level, and it helps keep the temperature lower too. I would highly recommend it.

4. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

Maybe he wants something to dock his MBP in while he uses a larger external display? Also I’m not a big fan of the elevator, it looks cheap =/

Balmuda offer some nice stuff and I think the “floater” is an awesome way to dock your mbp, I also like the highwire light that they offer!

5. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

6. MattSharp macrumors newbie

7. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Add another to that list. The Elevator is great because it can function both as a stand to use when you want to have your mbp open, or if you want to go into clamshell mode. Add to that the fact that it's only 1/10 of the price of that other one you want, and I think you have a clear winner.

9. spyderracer393 macrumors regular

I have had the Griffin iCurve for the last 2 or so years and it's been great, though I'd love to replace it with the M-Design model previously mentioned. The iCurve is the model prior to the Elevator.

10. faust macrumors regular

faust

I am looking for a stand to put my 15" Macbook Pro on for when I purchase a Cinema Display, preferably something that won't block airflow, and perhaps help cool the computer down too.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Griffin Elevator. Nuff said.

12. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

how is that one compared to the tilt one?

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Tilt? I'm not sure what you mean by that. Is it a brand/name of a particular stand, or do you want a stand that tilts? The Elevator does tilt slightly. Here's a pic so you can see:

Attached Files:

14. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

i meant, how does the Rain Design mStand compare to the elevator? i was just wondering the pros and cons of each.

15. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I haven't seen/used an mStand, but I've heard that some find it to be a bit too tilted. The Griffin is rather ideal (I own an Elevator) and also has the virtue of being cheaper.

17. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

I like the mStand best, the Griffen elevator has this big ugly Griffin logo on it which bothers me a lot. If it doesn't bother you then I say go for the elevator since they peform the same function but the Griffen version is cheaper.

18. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

hmmm...still cannot decide. price is not really a big difference, i mean the elevator is cheaper. i'm not sure about that whole tilt thing though on the mstand.

19. jonnylink macrumors 6502

I use the iLap, but it looks like you are looking for something to give you more height. If so the iLap probably won't do much for you. However if you are looking for something to keep it from laying flat the iLap might be worth a look. I like that it can sit on a desk or my lap easily and the aluminum transfers heat nicely.

I have a friend who has the elevator and it seemed okay. I honestly wouldn't be able to trust it with my computer, though I can't say that's a legitimate concern.

Oh and the iLap is also a rain product. So, if I was gonna be either the elevator or mStand I'd probably go with the mStand

20. Drile macrumors member

21. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

:rolleyes:

I'm tempted by the 'floater', except from the awful name and quite phenomenal price (I mean, $305 for a damn laptop stand?!!?)

I have an iCurve (the old version of the elevator), and it's fantastic. But, I'm getting to the point where I use only my external screen when I'm at my desk, so something space saving like that would be perfek methinks.

22. luckylindy macrumors newbie

Read Elevator Reviews on Amazon...

Seems a few people had problems with the grips on the stand not holding the laptop after X months. Just FYI

I am looking, too, and mStand looks like my choice.

23. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Interesting. We had that problem with iCurves also. It takes time, but eventually all 3 we had lost their grip and thus were useless.

24. roker macrumors regular

roker

I've had the mStand for several weeks now, & since buying it I've used my MBP less than previously at my desk (I love the battery life on these things!!) but you should know that with the restricted opening angle of the MBP (at least the new ones) & the angle of tilt of the mStand the screen is on a slight downward angle, which would make it difficult to use while on the mStand if you had a low desk. If I were to buy again I would simply go for the elevator as it is just as, if not more functional & a lot cheaper than the mStand (though I still think the mStand looks alot better).

:)

25. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

i just got my elevator yesterday, but i swear it hurts my neck more than just having the laptop on my desk. it seems really high to me, but maybe i am just not used to it yet. any suggestions?