Which is the better weather app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knowlege Bomb, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I'm done with the stock weather app. I use it A LOT and have come to find it's right about 2.64% of the time (roughly).

I am looking at Weatherbug and The Weather Channel. They both have 3.5 star ratings with around 20k reviews.

Any personal suggestions? Anybody know if either of these will be updated with push notifications?

Thanks for any help!

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

3. requieminadream macrumors member

requieminadream

I just have a bookmark to the Weather Underground iPhone site, http://i.wund.com/

It provides tons of detail and a very accurate forecast, as well as telling you simple things like "It will be warmer/colder/much colder/much warmer than yesterday" so I know how to dress in the morning.

4. Nickday89 macrumors regular

i use weatherbug, as it's also what many news stations use. i find it easy and accurate. when i first got my 1st gen phone i HATED the weather app. looking back, i wonder why it took me so long to look for and get weatherbug

5. danlovaj macrumors regular

weather channel hands down.

i love the radar map, as it projects it to google maps so I can see a local radar map. being in the rural area, the radar maps on tv/web are often localized to major metro areas.

now if they would only show live radar, but i can live with a 5 minute delay...

6. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I've tried most all of them and Fizz Weather is the best.

7. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

8. cardboardcowboy macrumors newbie

Another vote for The Weather Channel's (TWC) app.
    I just installed that and Weathereye and while they both are pretty similar and provide the same information (give or take a few things like sunrise/sunset, which TWC app might have I just didn't see it) I liked the addition of the video on TWC's app. I can imagine TWC's app will go nuts with info and videos if there is some sort of severe weather in the area. I'm excited to see that, now all we need are some more storms. :)

9. megadon macrumors 6502

I find weather eye to be pretty accurate in my area, but can't speak for everyone else..
    it has adds at the bottom, but its' free and does the job well..
    as far as push, I don't think it has it..

10. iSavant macrumors regular

11. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

+1

12. timotheezz macrumors regular

For those in need of some push lovin' check out Umbrella. Granted I just installed it and I set it to notify me at 7:15am if there will be a rain for the day. And since I'm in Philly, it's supposed to thunderstorm tomorrow.

I can't wait to be push notified.

I have issues …

13. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

14. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

15. Zeos macrumors 6502

16. cobalt135 macrumors regular

+ whatever it's up to now:p

Their normal web version is nice when your at the computer. Nice enough that I pay them $10 a year to have the website ad free. Lots of detailed data and history.

http://i.wund.com/
    http://www.wunderground.com

17. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

I love the interface for AccuWeather, but there are times that I couldn't get the current day high temp. For example, if I had checked this morning it would have started the 5 day forecast with Saturday instead of Friday. I couldn't look at the hourly forecast because it only showed 5 hours (or so...can't remember exactly). If I checked at 6am, it would only show me up until 11am. So frustrating! Hopefully they've fixed that, but I know it was still doing it a few weeks ago.

I settled on The Weather Channel app. I wish that you could make the font a big bigger, but it's really good since they started providing animated radar. I do agree that the website i.wund.com is really great, too, and always have it right next to TWC.

18. Knoxville3G macrumors member

+100 on Weather Underground as a web bookmark on your home screen. It's VERY accurate, has live radar, and it's FREE!

19. GNice macrumors 6502

I *thought* I really liked WeatherBug but Weather Underground is better than it and The Weather Channel app. Just added the link to my home screen. Thx for the info!:D

20. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

21. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

I wish Weather Underground would come out with an App that used WunderMap and had push weather alerts, plus their standard information.

22. hkip37 macrumors member

23. arykmax macrumors regular

That would be great. I use i.wund.com right now. Saves app space and gives me everything I need. The animated radar on it seems to load faster than the weather channel app.

24. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

The built in app isn't very accurate but I absolutely love the UI. It's so simple and elegant and for someone like me who only cares about temp and cloud conditions (and not radar and complicated stuff) it just is the perfect amount of info. Is there a better app I should be using that still has a simple apple-ey UI?