Which is the faster macbook

GMZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Hi I'm new here, this is my first post :D
I'm buying a macbook to use for my graphic design work today or tomrrow and I'm not sure which one of the following two options I should get...
1.83 Ghz with 2 Gigs of ram
OR
2.0 Ghz with 1 Gig

and I want to know if it's absolutely necessary to install the RAM in matched pairs, because if that's possible I might just go with the 2 Ghz and not have to worry about wasting RAM sticks.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You can install unmatched pairs of RAM but absolute performance would be better with matched pairs. Personally I would go with more RAM and less CPU speed as most of the time this will feel faster.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Yeah, if you don't need to burn DVD's (the 1.83 can't), then the 1.83 w/ 2gigs of ram is a FAR better deal.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Nuks said:
Yeah, if you don't need to burn DVD's (the 1.83 can't), then the 1.83 w/ 2gigs of ram is a FAR better deal.
That's what I said when I got my mini a year ago. Then I discovered iLife. Sure, you may not need a DVD burner now, but if you're creative, you may wish you had one later on down the road.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'd get the 1.83 Ghz model, no doubt. The 2Ghz version is only like 4% faster in real world performance anyway. Who cares. The RAM is more important.

On the other hand, if you need the DVD burner, I guess the Superdrive could make the difference. However, external DVD burners are much much better anyway, and much cheaper as well.

kalun

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
depends on how you use it.....
if you open alot of application at once, rarely restart your computer, or open a programs that takes alot of ram, then get 2gb of ram (by programs that take alot of ram, i mean like doing video editing, image editing, stuff like that)

I would actually suggest getting the 2Ghz verison. Why?
in a macbook, you can easily add more ram, but you cannot replace the CPU.....

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
kalun said:
I would actually suggest getting the 2Ghz verison. Why?
in a macbook, you can easily add more ram, but you cannot replace the CPU.....
i was about to say this same thing. in my opinion, buy the best you can afford of the things you can't upgrade later. IE: since you can't upgrade the processor, go for the 2.0 and upgrade with more ram later. besides, 1gb of ram will be plenty for the everyday activities.

there's a good argument, of course, for the 1.83 with 2gbs of RAM instead, because it really won't feel slower for the everyday use. BUT, also factor in which is a bit more "futureproof", which has better resale value for down the line when you upgrade..

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
xfiftyfour said:
i was about to say this same thing. in my opinion, buy the best you can afford of the things you can't upgrade later. IE: since you can't upgrade the processor, go for the 2.0 and upgrade with more ram later. besides, 1gb of ram will be plenty for the everyday activities.
I third that. good idea and what i am going to do myself.

GMZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Thanks everyone for your replies ^-^
I think I've made my decision. I'm getting the 2Ghz with 1 GB of pqi memory as the apple store here overcharges for RAM upgrades. I figure that upgrading the optical drive and CPU can't be done later but I can always add on RAM once I get more money, and external DVD writers are just clunky imo >_o

Has anyone here tried this pqi model with the macbook? There's on review of it by a mac user on newegg, but it says they've used it for only a day.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I'd say a refurbished MacBook Pro 2.0 @ $1699

Since the graphics GPU will make a difference with some of the apps.

GMZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Hehe nah, MBP's are too big for me to carry around and I wouldn't even think about getting one 'til they'd solved the macboom issue and overheating problems. The macbook should be enough for me at least 'til I graduate, since I won't be doing a lot of 3D work anyway, mainly Photoshop and Illustrator.
Now I'm trying to find out if pqi RAM is 100% compatible with the macbook. No reason why it wouldn't be tho..

GMZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Hehe nah, MBP's are too big for me to carry around and I wouldn't even think about getting one 'til they'd solved the macboom issue and overheating problems. The macbook should be enough for me at least 'til I graduate, since I won't be doing a lot of 3D work anyway, mainly Photoshop and Illustrator.
Now I'm trying to find out if pqi RAM is 100% compatible with the macbook. No reason why it wouldn't be tho..