Which is the Model to get

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mashinhead, May 3, 2011.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I will be getting one today, but I wanted some advice from my fellow MR. As always there seems to be a perfect bang for your buck model and I wanted to know what you guys thought.

I am upgrading from a late 2009 27" 2.8 ghz i7. I really wanted the new i7 but I don't know if I can wait. Can you guys give me some advice? How does the new i5 Compare? Is it worth it to upgrade to i7 and upgrade the graphics? What kind of changes will i see.

Also do they sell these in store today?

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

What are you using it for?

3. simsaladimbamba

Your i7 and the current i7 support 8 threads, the current i5s in the new iMacs only support 4 cores with a total of 4 threads.
    And yes, the new iMacs will be available today, you could phone the next Apple Store to you and ask.
    And what are your computational needs, that you want to upgrade your perfectly fast iMac?

4. Kendo macrumors 68000

Best bang for the buck is keeping your current iMac. Plus it already has a maxed out processor. That thing is still a beast!

5. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

i use it for creative suite and video editing and music. I want the thunderbolt ports and now the extra displays. And i unfortunately already sold my computer in anticipation.

6. simsaladimbamba