Which jump was better/higher? iPhone 4 to 5 or 5 to 6 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Sep 10, 2014.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Well in my opinion I think iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 was a HUGE update. I mean it was the best and most stable phone of 2012. It may only been 4 inch of screen but it was a fantastic size for one hand use.
    The camera got a huge update..
    Double the ram
    improved facetime and also faster shots.
    A6 was a major improvement from the A4
    LTE
    and of course...iOS 6 which imo was the most stable iOS ever....EXCEPT the whole Apple maps disaster.

I don't feel the iPhone 6 is a huge improvement from the 5
    The only big one was the touch ID but that is it. Besides the 6's 4.7 screen.

----------

Excluding the iPhone 6 plus...

2. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

So you're ignoring:
    - Big performance jump from A6 to 64-bit A8.
    - Improved facetime camera (80% more light, burst selfies, HDR video...)
    - Much better camera (bigger and much better sensor leading to greatly improved pictures, especially in low light, 720p 240 fps, 1080p 60fps, dual flash, focus pixels etc.)
    - Much bigger and better screen, with better viewing angles and much better contrast ratio
    - iOS 8 with things like extensibility, quick reply, continuity, metal and much much more (compared to iOS 6 which brought virtually nothing of importance)
    - Touch ID!
    etc.
    :rolleyes:

3. DBZmusicboy01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Having 1GB of ram is terrible for a 64bit processor.
    But I am saying the update from the iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 was huge...
    5mp vs 8mp with many improvements and facetime was also improved.

4. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

It wasn't an option, but for me, it was 3 to 4. I know it was 3GS to 4, but that seemed to be the upgrade that I "felt" the most.

5. mantan macrumors 68000

None of the above. The jump from 3GS to 4 was massive. Retina display, HD video camera, FaceTime - new form factor.....it was the first time Apple felt pressure in the smartphone market and they raised the bar with a product that blew competitors out of the water.

4 to 5 and 5 to 6 felt incremental. Yeah, slightly bigger, thinner, faster....but not quite the leap ahead of the competition that the 4 was.

6. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

So is the jump from 5 to 6. The only thing more noticeable going from 4 to 5 than from 5 to 6 would be the speed and general responsiveness, and that's only because the iPhone 4 was sloooow on iOS 6.

7. cynics macrumors G4

Comparing the jump from the 5 to the 6.

A6 to A8 is a larger jump then A4 to A6.
    True tone flash
    Rear Camera (Focus Pixels, exposure control, 2.2f aperture, auto IS, better panoramas, burst mode)
    Front facing camera (2.2f aperture, burst mode, HDR)
    TouchID
    WiFi AC
    Barometer
    NFC
    Larger display, not just aspect ratio change
    Better screen (better viewing angles, better contrast, more accurate colors, thinner, etc)
    Slow Mo 120 fps and 240 fps
    1080p @ 60fps w/ auto stabilization
    Video calling using H265 compression (this is a big deal surprisingly, much higher quality at much lower data use)
    Faster LTE (where available)
    VoLTE equipped

8. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

I agree that going from 3GS to 4 was huge, apart from CPU/GPU performance which was actually a downgrade compared to 3GS. After on iOS6 and later, the phone just couldn't handle the retina display normally.

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I feel the 4 to 5 was a bigger update. With that said I also feel the 5 to 6 go be a pretty big update and I'm very very happy with whats new.

10. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

I jumped from the original iPhone to the iPhone 5. That was actually no jump.. that was like taking a ride on the USS Enterprise to another galaxy!