Which keyboard connector?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jmaquarry, Jun 25, 2009.

1. jmaquarry macrumors member

Are the silver connectors and the bronze connectors for the macbook topcase interchangeable?

Thanks

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Which machine you comparing here?

3. jmaquarry thread starter macrumors member

white macbook late 2007 2.1ghz (silver topcase connector)

with

white macbook early 2006/7 (bronze coloured connector)

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Ahh.. gotcha!

At a guess... I would say it's doubtful, since the newer machines uses a USB interface that connects directly to a mini surface mounted socket on the logic board.

[​IMG]

5. jmaquarry thread starter macrumors member

I dont have a camera handy im afraid - i googled this image though:

[​IMG]

in the image it has that "bronze connector" cable - however my current white macbook late 2007 has a "silver connector".

The only reasonable replacement i can find for my macbook has this "bronze connector" and so i simply wish to know whether i can stick a bronze one in my current macbook :)

thanks for your help...

6. jmaquarry thread starter macrumors member

i dont think my silver connector uses a usb interface? the connectors based on the images i can find both look the same apart from one being silver - my current silver connector connects in exactly the same way as the image you posted

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Oh wait.. The one used in the MacBook White is so different from the MacBookPro (you've shown)

As far as the MacBook White goes, the short interconnecting wire from the trackpad to the logicboard should be the same, technically. Therefore they should be interchangeable. The difference in colour is due to Apple changing manufacturing supplier.

May I ask, are you looking for an replacement topcase, or the cable only?

8. jmaquarry thread starter macrumors member

I am looking for a replacement - wine unfortunately left my keyboard with no functioning letter "h" - the only reasonably priced topcase i can find with a UK layout has the mentioned bronze connector, thus why i want to make sure it is compatible :) thanks for your help.

ps. sorry about the incorrectness of the pic - only one i could find that put my point accross :)

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

OK.. If your Mac has AppleCare, Apple can change it for you under the warranty. If not, then there are places various places online who can sell you a complete topcase... and with the weak dollar it should be fairly cheap!

http://www.ifixit.com/
    http://www.powerbookmedic.com/
    http://www.pbparts.com/

I'd recommend powerbookmedic, cause all their parts comes with 12mths warranty. Though iFixit might be able to supply you an exact replacement.

10. jmaquarry thread starter macrumors member

i shall certainly look at these sites closely :) many thanks for your help :D

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

No worries.
    That's what we're here for. :)