Which keyboard covers do you suggest?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nathandn, Dec 30, 2014.

1. nathandn macrumors newbie

I received my 13" rMBP last week, and have noticed that dust and other particles have started to pile up between the keys and on top of them, so I sought out to buy a keyboard cover.

So far, I'm thinking of getting the Moshi Keyboard Cover, found here:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/T...rotector-for-aluminum-macbook-and-macbook-pro

My only concerns are heat trapping and having the cover touch the screen when the laptop is closed, causing marks on the screen.

I was wondering if any of you guys have the cover and could tell me your experience OR are there any other alternatives that I could try to keep my keyboard dirt-free?

2. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

Have you seen this Apple warning regarding palm rests and keyboard covers?

There seems to be an issue with the rMBP's screen and the clearance with the keys.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd avoid them, given the tight tolerances with the MBP, I think you may be asking for trouble.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

As others say avoid them

Spray out with a can of compressed air as needed. Computers get dusty it is a byproduct of the electrostatic field they generate not a lot you can do about it..

5. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

yet they will sell you one.

6. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

Because they sell other models aside from the rmbp?

7. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Moshi keyboard covers are the best by far, have tried them all. No heat difference on or off, it's good insurance against accidental spills and finger crud that eventually builds up over the years - duster or no duster.

Can't speak about the tolerances of the retinas, but the moshi is so thin, don't really see how tolerance would be a problem.

Even using a moshi keyboard cover on the mini wifi mac keyboard as the last one I used broke down because of crud build up (and yes my hands are usually clean..)

8. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

no the Moshi cover they sell in the Apple Store is for retina too

Manufacturer Note
    Fits the following models: 13-in. MacBook and MacBook (unibody); 13-in. MacBook Pro (unibody) and 13-in. MacBook Pro with Retina display; 15-in. MacBook Pro (unibody) and 15-in. MacBook Pro with Retina display; 17-in. MacBook Pro 17 (unibody); 13-in. MacBook Air

9. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Purchased one, saw outline of keyboard cover on screen, discarded soon after.

10. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

One I have used for three years.. no such problem. Maybe the cover itself was dirty?

11. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

cover was brand new from Moshi. Also cleaned it. NO, the outline would always appear and tossed it into a drawer.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've read this issue too many times to consider a keyboard cover at this point.

13. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I don't use any keyboard cover, As other have said, the clearances of the screen and the keyboard are incredibly tight, and the screen glass itself is wafer (less than 1mm) and unlike the older MBPs there is no additional piece of glass to protect the screen.

14. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I used their keyboard cover on my cMBP years ago but it became cloudy so I binned it. Not used one since, however I do use their palm guard (but not the trackpad guard that's included)

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

None, they look and feel like poop and could damage your screen.

16. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

I get far too much enjoyment using all my Macs, iPads and iPhones just as they come out of the box.

Apple's done a brilliant job with ergonomics and the tactile experience. I'm not about to muck it up... :)