Which keyboard do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by petvas, Feb 9, 2008.

?

Which keyboard is the best for you?

Poll closed Mar 10, 2008.
  1. White Apple (Wired)

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  2. White Apple (Bluetooth)

11 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. Aluminum (Wired)

29 vote(s)
    39.2%
  4. Aluminum (Bluetooth)

21 vote(s)
    28.4%
  5. Other...

9 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Ok, which keyboard are you using with your Mac?
    I prefer the old white Apple Keyboard, despite the fact that I also own the new Aluminum one. I prefer its style, the feeling when typing. The only thing I like about the Aluminum keyboard is the fact that I make less mistakes with it, but the difference isn't that big. I just don't like the feeling of the keys when pressed.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The new keyboards are a fast track to joint damage. The membrane collapses a little too easily, not enough give on landing. Crap feel IMO expecially for a scissor-action keyboard.

I still like the Macally Icekey. Unlike the Apple clear/white keyboard which gets barely acceptable as you wear it in (from a bind-y, jam-y nightmare), the Icekey goes from good to better. A little rattlier than a top-flight scissor-action keyboard, but excellent action all the same.

5. instant hit macrumors member

instant hit

the new wired aluminum keyboard is a joy to type on. when i got my mba, i feel right at home. :D

6. sturob macrumors regular

My favorite is still the Apple Adjustable Keyboard. I had one that I used with (if memory serves) an SE/30.

That thing kicked major butt. Nothing today is like it, NOTHING.

:D

Stuart

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Yeah - that was pretty awesome. Hated the 'chicklet island' though.

8. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Wired Aluminium keyboard :D

It's nicer than every other keyboard I've used, it's got USB ports on it and it's just generally a nice keyboard :D

9. MLeepson macrumors 6502

I have two black and one white Apple Pro Keyboard, which I love.
    I use the white one with my iMac G4, a black one with my PowerBook G4, and another not being used.

I think I've only tried the the aluminum keyboard once and I liked it a lot, but both of my computers have Panther and the keyboards require Tiger.

10. DarkFlash macrumors newbie

I completely agree with you! It's a great keyboard, and 2 more USB ports! Win WIN!! :apple:

11. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

I use a Saitek Eclipse with mine. I was surprised that the volume buttons on it work with OS X, that's pretty awesome. I use the old white Apple keyboards at work, and they're alright, but they look dirty as hell. Bad design on that. And the new aluminum ones don't strike a cord with me either; the only reason to have a think keyboard is because you need to (i.e. laptop). Another example of form over function.

12. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I just wish the Bluetooth keyboard had the same buttons as the wired one:(

13. JockItch43 macrumors newbie

Exactly. I want a full sized, bluetooth keyboard too.

14. DHart macrumors 6502

DHart

I like the aluminum wired KB, which I use with my MacBook when it's on my desk, same key feel as the new MacBook keyboard....

15. Aranince macrumors 65816

I really like the Alu keyboard. Best keyboard eva

16. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I admit I write faster with the Alu wired Keyboard but I still find its feeling when typing not good. I prefer the white one for the moment. Actually I can't really make up my mind and I have been changing keyboards every hour here!
    I like the feeling of the white keyboard and the speed of the Alu one...

17. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I'm still looking for a full-sized bluetooth keyboard with trackpad. I'm not sure why one hasn't been made yet. It should be called the Couch Potato Keyboard.

18. esco macrumors 6502

esco

I was bummed that the wireless version didn't have the full keyboard, but after using the wireless version for a couple months, I don't regret buying it. Leaning back in my chair and having it in my lap sure is convenient ;)

19. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

This is what I use on all my HTPC's. I would imagine some parts of it would work on a Mac, but haven't tried it - no point, as I use real computers as my HTPC's.
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=080

You can get non-Bluetooth keyboard/trackpad combos.
    http://www.keysonic.de/pages/keyboards/ACK_540_RF/ack_540_rf_de.html

20. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Me too. Always used a wireless keyboard, but I had to pick the wired one on my MacPro order as the bluetooth one is not a full keyboard.

The universe being what it is, that means the day *after* my order arrives Apple will release some new wireless keyboard that either has all the missing keys or a touch-pad or something and I will have to buy again. :(

21. ghostee macrumors 6502

I have not had the chance to try the new aluminum keyboards, but I'm not a huge fan of the clear/white ones. They look nice, sure, but they're not very comfortable for me to use for more than an hour straight. They also stop looking nice if you don't clean them often, as dirt and dust is so visible against the white keys and through the clear casing.

I'm interested in trying the Saitek mentioned above or the Logitech Dinovo Edge next, although the latter is too damn expensive.

22. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I thought I should test my typing speed and compare the White Apple Keyboard with the Alu Wired one.
    I am not fast in typing but I found out that using the White Keyboard I make less mistakes and type faster. I write 45 Words per Minute and have an accuracy of 94% while with the Alu I have 40 WPM and 91% accuracy. I repeated the test a couple of times and the results were more or less the same.
    http://www.typingtest.com

23. Hydramus macrumors member

Oh, but there is a couch potato keyboard ;). The Logitech Dinovo Edge. It doesn't have a num pad though, if that is what you mean by full-size.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2166,CONTENTID=10717

My brother has one and uses it exactly for that. He just sits on his sofa sometimes and browses the web or watches a movie.

24. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

I despised the clear/white ones of the previous generation. No matter how clean you are, the crevices always got crumbs and dirt stuck in them. A clean freak like me would pull the keys off monthly to clean out all of the junk that got stuck.

I have the new aluminum wireless keyboard (two of them actually) and they are a gem. They keypress fells great, and they are so easy to clean. In my opinion, they are a HUGE step up from the previous gen.

25. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

The keyboard I most prefer is the one I am on now, a lenovo ThinkPad t60. :)