Which Keyboard Should I Choose?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by g00dbye, Nov 18, 2009.

1. g00dbye macrumors member

g00dbye

So, I'll be purchasing a new iMac soon and was curious to know your thoughts and opinions on the different keyboard options.

Option #1: Apple Wireless Keyboard

From Apple.com: For the ultimate in flexibility and to minimise cable clutter, choose the Apple Wireless Keyboard. Its ultra-compact size allows you to place your mouse comfortably next to your keyboard and fits on even the most crowded desk. It communicates with your Mac over a reliable, secure Bluetooth wireless connection. And advanced power management hardware and software extends the life of your AA batteries (included), giving you up to nine months of battery life (based on average usage patterns).

Option #2: Apple Keyboard

From Apple.com: The wired Apple Keyboard offers a compact design that lets you place your mouse comfortably next to your keyboard and fits on even the most crowded desk. Two USB 2.0 ports let you connect your mouse as well as a high-speed peripheral such as a digital camera or printer.

Option #3: Apple Keyboard w/ Numeric Keypad

From Apple.com: The wired Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad offers an extended layout that includes document navigation controls — page up, page down, home and end — and full-size arrow keys for playing games and scrolling through documents. Its numeric keypad is perfect for spreadsheets and finance applications. And two USB 2.0 ports let you connect your mouse as well as a high-speed peripheral such as a digital camera or printer.

So, what is the advantage to having a wireless keyboard for a desktop computer? If I'm planning on simply sitting at a desk in front of my computer, isn't a wireless keyboard somewhat pointless? The only advantage I can see is having less wires on your desk. Now, I'm intrigued by the other two keyboards because of the additional USB ports. Can anybody vouch for how necessary the numeric keypad is? Is the smaller keyboard a big advantage in terms of desk space? Enlighten me! Thanks!

-Bri

2. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I think this boils down to personal preference.

First question, will you really use the numeric keypad? If yes, then your decision is made.

If no, then the next question is the USB hub important to you? If yes, then your decision is made.

If no, then the next question is do you care about the wire? If yes, then your decision is made.

:D

I have both a wireless and a wired w/ keypad. I don't like wires, so I use my wireless keyboard 99% of the time. I then ran a USB extension (with cradle) to the top of my desk to plug in my USB stick.

3. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

So only the wired keyboard comes with usb hubs? and how many does it come with?

4. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

2 - one on each side. Unfortunately, they're a little difficult to get to.

5. Wayne s macrumors regular

Yes, only the wired KB has USB ports (2) one either end on the underside.

6. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I just use something like this, so it is out of the way on my desk. But then again, the only thing that I don't need always plugged into USB is my USB thumb drive.

I believe Apple put the USB slot on the keyboard to plug a wired mouse into. Just my guess.

[​IMG]

7. g00dbye thread starter macrumors member

g00dbye

This is the best question break-down anyone has ever offered me. Thank you!!

8. splitpea macrumors 6502a

I like a wireless keyboard because the cables are never long enough once I slide my keyboard tray all the way out.

That said, I usually go for a wired one when buying a Mac because it makes for easier boot-time troubleshooting; plus a numeric keypad is handy.

On second thought, I've never liked the ergonomics of Apple's keyboards and would probably stuff it into the closet for emergency use and stick with my logitech keyboard, which has nice light crisp key action. ;)

9. robby818 macrumors 6502a

I like option #2 because 1. you can place the keyboard in the center of the screen, rather than offset to the left and 2. those are real USB ports on the keyboard, I detest that low power message that you usually get with USB ports on keyboards.

Also, I am not keen on bluetooth mice or keyboards because of the delay/lag. With the keyboard, it always take a second or two before the computer and keyboard complete their handshake when you wake from sleep and bluetooth mice are always laggy. If you go with a wireless mouse, the mice with their own wireless transmitter (not bluetooth) seem to perform more like corded mice.

10. driftmr2 macrumors member

How is the battery life on the wireless keyboard and mouse? That is one of the only reasons why I like the wired versions so much. I don't have to deal with it.

I have the smaller version of the wired keyboard at work and it is a pain to type on compared to my 10-key version. Maybe that's just me.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Number two is really the best option. It's cheap, no batteries, two usb ports, no connection problems, numberpad, etc.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I never cease to find it amusing that the kids computers at the Apple Store use the numberpad-less keyboards, and many of the installed games are designed by default to use the numberpad (e.g. LEGO Star Wars).

i.e. if you're going wired you never know when you might need the numberpad.

I understand the lack of a numberpad on laptops and where space is concerned, but for a 27" iMac is the extra space the numberpad takes really an issue? I think it looks odd with such a tiny KB.

B

13. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

1 or 3

I would go for the wireless or the wired with a numberpad. If I'm going to deal with the wire, I might as well get all the keys that are offered.

I already have the wireless which I like.

14. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

well i just replaced my wired w/pad keyboard with a wireless one without the pad.

Its smaller and the keys are off my usual alignment angles (fingers and hands) and so right now i am making a lot of mistyping mistakes, which makes me want to throw this keyboard out the window.
    Anyone else experience similar learning curve?
    If so, how long did it take you to get used to the new kb?
    Also, i am not experiencing any typing delay due to the bt connection.
    So there, that's my story. God im really getting annoyed right now, my right hand is about an inch off on all the keys.

15. driftmr2 macrumors member

PsyD4Me I feel the same way! It took me a long time to learn how to type on the little keyboard and still, I don't feel quite at home with it. The 10-key version is just so much more natural.

16. Blow up tre1 macrumors member

Reason for no wireless keyboard with numberpad

Logitech's Dinovo mac edition. Wireless, heaps better to type on and looks great with aluminium macs. Has a number-pad!!! and also all of the F buttons are reasonably customisable except for the basic ones like eject and screen brightness etc. costs AU$150 and is defiantly worth it.:)
    Btw battery life is 3 years (2 aa batteries) and it is not bluetooth-does have a usb sized receiver.

17. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

The layout of the new wireless keyboard doesn't seem any different than my MBP, so I haven't had any problems.

I had been using my MBP as my primary computer for almost two years and really haven't missed the number pad.

Besides, in the wrong hands wires can kill people, so the fewer wires, the safer I feel :D