Which laptop (MBA 11", MBA 13" or MBP 13")

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BigDave48, Jan 13, 2011.

1. BigDave48 macrumors newbie

I know I know...another thread asking "which computer." I also realize that this is a highly personal question.

My situation: I currently own a MBP 13", 2.26 GHz, 2GB, 160GB. I use it for Word, Chrome, iTunes. I do A LOT of writing (I'm a graduate student).

My wife is in need of a computer and I have an itch for a new one. So, she will get my current machine (I think that's the way I'm leaning).

If so...I'm torn about what to get for myself.

Option 1: MBA 11", 1.4 GHz, 2GB, 64 GB SSD (Base model). I know this will serve my "spec" needs, but I'm hesitant about the 11" size. Does anyone have any experience with moving down from a 13" to 11"? Thoughts? I can get this for $968 through an online retailer.

Option 2: Refurb MBA 13", 2.13 GHz, 2 GB, 128 GB SSD (this is the previous generation). $1,099

Option 3: Keep my current MBP, and get my wife a new MB. She's not picky...I'm the one who wants a new machine! $999.

I know there may be other options I haven't considered.

I love the screen size of my MBP 13" and would love the MBA 13", but don't want to pay $1,299! However, I really want the portability of the MBA. I never use an optical drive and I would store mainly Word/Pages docs and some iTunes on the machine. I could keep my larger music library on the MBP. I could get the MBA 13" and larger HD with the refurb, but I'm not sure it's the best idea to go the previous generation route.

Thoughts?

Sorry for throwing a bunch of stuff out there...but I'd love to hear some thoughts/experience.

2. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

I'm not going to recommend a 11" MBA as a primary computer, nor a previous generation MBA. You could wait until the 13" hits the refurbished store. I don't recommend that you stick with the default 2GB RAM since you can't upgrade it later on. So, I would say in your budget range, get a Macbook Pro for $1000-1100.

3. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

get the 13" MBP and upgrade it with aftermarket SSD if you need the extra speed.