Which laptop more worth putting the bucks ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheFinale, Oct 16, 2008.

1. TheFinale macrumors newbie

The old gen mbp (2.5ghz , 8600gt 512mb, 4 gb ram) vs the new base model mbp. Which is more worth it ? lets say for some hardcore gaming and heavy duty photoshop. Because i think now the price of the old gen mbp have dropped alot... correct me if wrong. So pricing would be around the same ?

2. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

Read the thread here:

"Apple says some MacBook Pros affected by faulty Nvidia chips"

Apple should be warning people of this known problem. For gaming esp, I would not go with the older model due to the bad 8600 gpu.

3. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Actually the old 2.5 is quite a bit cheaper than the new 2.4. I decided that the old one was a better deal for me, and I bought it yesterday. It is great, I don't regret it at all!!!

4. TheFinale thread starter macrumors newbie

yea, even tho the gpu is faulty it still can be change. But i guess since they say the 9600 n the 8600 are basically the same. So now the only difference is the video ram, 512 vs 256 at practically the same price or cheaper...

5. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

The GPU cannot be changed. It's part of the motherboard. If it breaks in 3 years after your applecare is over, your laptop is good for the trash unless you want to pay 1000$ for a repair.

The 9600 DESTROYS the 8600 COMPLETELY!!! Forget about the memory, 256 is more than enough (a certain post covered why, but I don't feel like looking for it).

It's a no brainer: the new MBP is the way to go.