Which laptop or desktop do i need for high school, and beyond?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iperson21, Jul 8, 2010.

1. iperson21 macrumors regular

hey guys, im kinda new to the forums so sorry if this annoys you.
    im going into high school after this summer, and i'm going into a special program which only has about 100 students, but my county has the worst funding in the state, so i'm not sure how good it is.
    now for getting into this program/getting me to do it, my dad is giving me 2000$.
    now i need to decide what computer i want, and i'd like to keep the entire cost of the computer under 1500 1600 at the max so i can buy some other new things like a bigger desk, a usb hub, etc.
    i currently have a dell xps m1330 1.8ghz intel centrino duo vista buissness 32-bit 2gb ram 120gb hd 2 usb ports, vga out, hdmi out, ethernet, 1394 firewire, and a cd drive
    i also have a dell mini 10 running windows xp.
    so what computer should i get?
    i defenitly want a mac, but im kinda confused on iMac vs Macbook Pro + cheap monitor maybe.
    defently need a mac though. all my work would NOT work on an iPad.
    and i would like this computer to last me through college also or atleast get through high school.
    i download alot of stuff also and im not sure if all that stuff gives me viruses.
    i don't game much but i'm probobly gonna play 360 through an easycap

2. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I'm not sure how much times have changed for high schoolers since I was attending (7 years ago). But if it were me, I would definitely stick with a desktop. Unlike college, I NEVER found a time when I needed a laptop away from the house. I had a custom gaming pc at home that I used whenever I was home to get my homework done and cure my gaming itch. And whenever I was away from the house I was riding my bike, wakeboarding, tubing, snowboarding, playing hockey etc. None of these activities should require a laptop.

If you are set on a mac and don't want to take $1,000 to build a really sick gaming pc then I would suggest getting a 27" iMac to get you through 4 years of high school. Then once you get to college you can take the iMac with you and pick up a new laptop for class/library as well.

3. Snowbound macrumors regular

I doubt any computer is going to last you through HS and College (8 years). My vote would probably be to grab a macbook (non pro) if you don't play many games, or an iMac if you do. When you get to college you'll want a new computer, no matter what you get now.

4. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

iMac and MacBook build quality is very good. They should last you a good 4 years, but some can last much much longer. I don't know what kind of high school your going to but the work shouldn't be too demanding. All you'll prolly need is Internet and Microsoft office lol, unless your taking a specialized computer course that requires your own computer. I went through high school with a 2006 Dell xps 17" running xp and all I did with it (academically) was use Microsoft word 95% of the time. I would recommend a MacBook/MacBook pro for high school cuz you can't carry an iMac to a friend's house for a group project. Anyways yea if you take care of your Mac it should pull through in college also. I have a friend who's in third year college and has been using her PowerBook for 6 years. A 13" MacBook pro would be good. If your a casual gamer at most, then I would recommend a high end 15" pro. If you get the 13" you have a good amount of money leftover. Good luck!

5. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

What's wrong with the XPS 1330? I had a Dell Inspiron E1505 (1.66Ghz, 1GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive) and that got me through high school without any problem. In fact, my mom still uses it daily to play games and surf the web, but it's still a pretty powerful computer in the grand scheme of things.

I would invest your money into CD's at the bank or something (not stock market!) then get a new laptop when i really need it most, college.

Trust me, you'll be nice and tired of the new shiny MacBook or iMac in 4 or so years wishing that you would have waited to get that new 5Ghz 16-core Core i11 MacBook Pro with 32GB of RAM and a 4TB SSD Drive that boots in 1 second (not to mention the 24-hour battery life...)

6. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

If only tech changed that fast. I know GHz isn't everything. But my old Dell desktop (now scrapped) had an Intel Pentium 4 at 2.66 GHz and 1GB RAM, an a 120 GB 7200 RPM HD. This computer is from 2003! It was a kick ass computer at the time. But that's SEVEN years ago. It costs $1100. Now for $999 you get a 2.4 GHz CPU, 250GB HD and 2 GB RAM. << MacBook. That's a lower speed chip and 1GB more ram in SEVEN years. Although most desktops have a 2-3 GHz CPU and 4 GB RAM and a 1 TB HD, this is 7 years later. Nothing breakthrough... Yet.

7. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

Your current computer will suit you fine for high school work.

8. macmepretty macrumors newbie

macmepretty

My 2 cents is you'll want a laptop for college. Hands down. But as others have said, whatever you buy now won't last. I got my first desktop when I was a freshman in HS (2000) and it totally crapped out on me a few months into my senior year (2003). Bought another desktop and it died when I was a sophomore in college (2005) so I bought my first laptop... the motherboard on it crapped out as soon as the warranty was up and I bought an AMAZING HP touch laptop thing (2007)... spilled chocolate milk in it :(. Had a refurbed desktop for a while until I could afford another computer. Got a sony vaio 2 years ago for college graduation (and an iPhone) and passed it down and bought a mac book pro last friday for grad school. :)

9. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I say keep the Dell XPS. There's nothing wrong with it and I doubt that it would not be good enough for the duration at high school. After high school is over, maybe reassess your requirements then.

10. iperson21 thread starter macrumors regular

well what i was thinking was (and after reading all your posts, again thank you) is to get the iMac for 1.149 with education discount, get a printer, and get a free iPod if my cousin going to college lets me use his ID.
    i was first thinking that i should get the upgraded model of the imac 21.5" but after reading your posts and actually cosidering all this, i doubt ill need the upgraded model.
    macbook (pro) also sounds good but the only problem is that i feel like the screen isn't big enough.
    but i also think i could set up my current laptop as a 2nd monitor.
    can i hear your thought on the below;?
    using laptop as 2nd monitor->
    mini displayport to vga on mac
    then the vga from the displayport to a pc to tv box into s-video or yellow rca
    then the s-video or yellow rca to an easycap or tv tuner
    because 2 13" monitors would be as big or bigger than an iMac, but i would lose the space inbetween

for future refrence> i need a new laptop/computer cuz my mouse button is frozen, its gotten viruses 4 times, all of my data had to be wiped out 3 times, the mouse button has broken 2 times, im running vista buissness, and i have 7gb left in my hd.

please continue sharing your thoughts =D

11. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

What on earth would you be doing in high school that you need a powerful computer for?

There's nothing wrong with the computer you have for high school work, I say stick with that.

Oh and btw: Using your cousins ID is illegal. He has to be the one to purchase the computer.

12. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I don't see a need to upgrade for just high school. I had a Dell E1505 starting with freshmen year in High School and it lasted me until the end of my freshmen year in College.

Then I decided I needed an upgrade in which I got a Macbook Pro 13" 2010.

Just keep the Dell you have now. It will last you until the end of high school. If you want to upgrade for college, do it just before you start your freshmen year. For your Dell, just get an external mouse. Install Windows 7 with proper anti-virus. And if you need more space, there are plenty of hard drives on the market.

13. section31 macrumors member

Agree completely. Is there a specific program/task that you are unable to run on your Dell? If not then I'd suggest you keep the Dell for now.

I'd save that money in the bank, CD, money market acct, etc.

As much as I love the new macs I just can't suggest that you purchase one in your situation.

14. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Well if you were buying maybe buying an iMac, then just buy a mouse for your Dell. iMac isn't portable, so making your Dell a desktop won't hurt you. And about the viruses, stop going to virus infected sites/downloading illegal things. I have had 6 different WINDOWS computers through out my life. NONE OF THEM had EVER gotten a virus. I only download things from good sites. like Cnet's download.com, or from the software maker. I do not use LimeWire or any Torrent sites, not do I go to any bad sites. I buy my music, and I do not pirate ANYTHING, So I have never gotten a virus. I bet if you do the same as me, you will be virus free.
    I'm not saying you pirate or go to bad sites, but to get a virus, you have to be doing something wrong.
    For Windows, why not use Microsoft Security Essentials? its free, from the makers of Windows, and doesn't slow the computer down.

15. iperson21 thread starter macrumors regular

well he would be purchasing it, my dad+me would just be paying for it.

16. bigjobby macrumors 65816

... also the OP is either not up to date with definitions and not virus checking all downloads which should be best practice.

17. EHVio macrumors newbie

I would personally say either stick with your current computer or go for a Macbook... An iMac isn't going to give you a whole lot of functionality over your current desktop for school purposes... However, you are just a few years away from being able to drive, and once I reached that point, I know that I liked to do most of my work outside of my house, so a laptop is definitely nice to have. I wonder how much Starbucks' stocks dropped when I got out of high school :D

If I were you, I'd choose a Macbook with 4GB RAM($1040 w/ education discount), a 1080p LCD TV w/ Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter for your room($400), and a wireless keyboard and mouse. Then you're set to work on the go, AND you've got a hugely expandable workspace in your room... Can even work from your bed on a nice big screen ;)

iWork will run you like $60 I think. I chose iWork over MS Office simply because I thought it was a fair gamble; if iWork didn't function how I needed it to, it was only a $60 loss... Otherwise I would save $100. It worked out pretty nicely, as I actually prefer iWork to the monster that Microsoft has turned Office into, and the export function works flawlessly to maintain compatibility with Office if I need to work from another computer.

EDIT: DOH.... terrible reading by me... You already have a laptop, not a desktop... My recommendation for the money you have to spend remains the same though.

18. iperson21 thread starter macrumors regular

i think i have decided now =D
    i am gonna get the macbook pro lowest end, with a HD upgrade to 320GB. Don't want to risk having my HD fill up again.
    plus iWork for my school work, an Apple Remote so i can play my music while sitting in my bed, insurance incase something happens, a magic mouse, an mstand by rain design and a keyboard

now i need recomendations on a keyboard.
    i really dont want to have to spend 70$ on a keyboard....

update: nvm probly gonna get the keyboard+ mouse from apple.

update 2: changed my mind again, forgetting the mstand, gonna spend those 50$ on a nice lg or samsung monitor so i can expand my workspace, and plus if i get a new computer for college, i doubt they will have monitors higher than 1080p

19. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Just save your money. The XPS 1330 is a capable notebook. I've used it, and it has quit a bit of power in such a small package. You should just keep it, and read my previous post about the mouse and viruses.

20. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

There is a reason why Apple targets "college" students for their notebooks and not high school students. Seriously what will you need a Macbook Pro for during high school that the Dell won't do?

All you need is Word to type essays, do some internet browsing, maybe some gaming? $1000 + just for that? And then another $1000 + when you get to college? Just seems unnecessary.

21. JCCash macrumors regular

Have you thought about a Apple Refurbished MBP and an external monitor?

22. JCCash macrumors regular

Any chance he will do video editing? My son started editing with FC in the 9th grade. After he got out of HS I bought him his own MBP and he is still editing for our church and as a hobby.

23. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Good. Then spend $100 or so and get a 500GB Hard drive. Its easy to install it too. Paying $130 gets you a really cool Seagate Momentus XT hybrid HD with an SSD. It will speed up your computer too. Spend another $100 or so, and max out your RAM if you didn't already do that.

24. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

There might be some video editing but nothing Windows Movie Maker can't handle. You will only need it during high school for projects if you plan on making a video for a project which I always thought was corny and stupid unless you are a pro and know how to make it fun.

But your son needed editing for church and it is his hobby so I think it is justified.

25. iperson21 thread starter macrumors regular

umm how am i supposed to do that?
    i cannot install anything myself, but i could ship it to india and get it done for 20$.