Which laptop screen is best for eyesight?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kazbat, Jul 14, 2012.

1. kazbat macrumors newbie

:confused:Hi everybody
    I need urgent help )))
    Apparently my last and old laptop gone crazy and now is dead (not yet buried) ((( but on the other hand I’m going to buy new one! My bereavement is going well enough.
    My work is travelling a lot sometimes up to 100%. This put restriction on weight with me. Also I do have my work laptop (Dell Latitude) and I need something small and nice. Couple days before I decide to buy MBA 11.6 inch customized (i7; 8 RAM; 128Gb SSD). Then I took a walk in the Apple store to see & touch it (yes I love feeling this sexy thing in my hands… sorry for fetish); as a result my eyes was caught by new rMBP and I felt myself “in love with that thing”!
    Consultant said: "since you have bad vision (couple years ago some guy in Africa tried to cut my eye) - you should buy either MBA 13.3 inch either rMBP".:confused:

I’m very scared to lose my vision (((( and I want to know which screen is the less harmful for eyes?

Now I’m in doubt what shall I do? And I’m short in money :D (I have been married for three times ;) and I pay alimony for ex-es with child support :)).

I will use my apple laptop for typing in MS Word (Excel), preparing MS PPP and pdf files, browsing Internet, watching movies and downloading from piratebay (since it is not restricted in South America and Africa – regions were I travel a lot). Almost forgot I rarely play Rome Total War (2005) & Shougun 2 Total War (2010). In addition I will install Win 7 either 8

Any advice will be useful, many thanks indeed Kazbatus.:cool:

2. Lindono macrumors member

I believe he was referring to the resolution, not to the damage a display would cause on your eyes. If your vision really is poor, you wouldn't need a high resolution screen anyway, because you wouldn't be able to distinguish any pixels. What you need is a large display, not a high-res one. You might consider the 17'' MBP (non-retina).

3. kazbat thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry this might be stupid question since I'm new to macworld and I double checked online applestore but didn't find any 17 inch display laptops?!

4. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

However if you get a 17", you'll need to get one from a reseller who still has one, or from the Apple Refurbished Store, because the 17" is no longer made.

It's been discontinued.

5. Lindono macrumors member

I can't believe I forgot that... Absolutely right. You'd have to go with the 15'' or get a refurbished one.

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

One thing about the RMBP is it does have high quality scaling options to give you bigger text and UI elements without losing much quality.

You can set a Macbook Air or a non-Retina MBP to a lower resolution than native to achieve a similar effect but it will be much blurrier than the RMBP set to one of the "Larger Text" modes.

That might be worth trying out in store to see how it works with your particular vision.

7. Lindono macrumors member

Again, resolution makes no difference whatsoever for someone who has poor vision. The extra pixels provided by the RMBP are just not worth the money, when you can't see them, and you can get a lower res laptop that would work just as well for less. Remember, resolution on a computer only needs to go up to the "resolution" that your eyes work at, at a given distance. If your eyesight is poor, often that means that they operate at a lower "resolution" than most people's eyes.

8. riley41090 macrumors member

if your fear is the screen resulting in you losing your vision then this shouldn't be an issue. If you looked at the MBA and could read it comfortably then the portability of traveling with a MBA should make it the best choice. 17" refurb MBPs are beasts and i doubt would be practical for traveling! I hated lugging my 15" around, each to their own though :)

9. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I would go with 13" MBA rather than the 11" if you have poor eyesight. I think you'd be throwing money away on a higher resolution rMBP. Text on my iPad 3 is sharper but finer.

10. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

And weighed and cost almost 3 times as much as the MBA the budget and portability-minded OP originally wanted

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Except that you cannot buy a 15" Macbook with a low native resolution, like 1024x600. The closest you can get is to buy one with a 1440x900 display and run it at a non-native lower resolution, but that introduces blurriness beyond that of the lower resolution.

I'm not saying that the RMBP's scaling will be better for the OP, but it would at least be worth checking it out in store.

Really which display at which resolution setting causes the least eyestrain is going to depend mostly on your unique vision and preference.