Which Laptop will future proof for using iMovie: Air or Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dagdagdag234, Nov 9, 2013.

1. dagdagdag234 macrumors regular

Hello All,

Well, my iMac 2007 model has finally given up handling the newest iMovie update (iOS 7) -- crashes and stutters.

I still have my Macbook pro mid 2009 version w 8gb of RAM which handles the new iMovie pretty decently. I wonder how long though...

But making these little 4 minute iMovies of my kids is important to me and am wondering next time I upgrade how powerful my computer needs to be.

I think I'm done with desktops -- so my next upgrade with be either the MacBook Pro R or an 11" Macbook Air.

I was looking forward to getting the Air since, aside from iMovie, what I need a computer for is very basic and I love the portability of the Air but now am wondering -- if I get an Air will it be able to handle iMovie?

And most importantly I guess, how long with it be able to handle iMovie upgrades before it conks out like my old iMac?

Will my 2009 pro w the 8gb RAM do okay for iMovie for awhile so I don't have to worry?

I guess if someone has a better sense of what specs I need for iMovie now and the future -- RAM, processor, that kinda thing, would be greatly appreciated.

If there a way I can beef up an 11 inch air to handle iMovie for the next few years or is it never going to be that kind of machine?

Thanks for any advice.

2. damidget macrumors regular

I think you meant OS X 10.9
    But if you get a 11" Air, go for 8GB Ram and 256GB SSD

3. dagdagdag234 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, sorry, not IOS7, of course. Thanks for the advice.

So sounds like a Macbook Air w 8gb ram and more storage would do okay?

Does it have a decent processor for that type of work? (I see you have one, so I might as well ask, do you miss a bigger screen or do you love the overall size of the 11 "?)

4. damidget macrumors regular

The storage is to make sure you have room for the vids and the processor is good as far as I know.
    I like the screen size and its portability.

5. tooobe macrumors regular

Movie editing is one of the few most demanding things you can do on a computer. It likes RAM memory and CPU speed, as much as you can afford. And storage (for storing your video, which takes up a lot of space). With that said, a MacBook Air 11 inch should work just fine in iMovie. 8GB of RAM memory is a minimum though.