Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Hi! I'm using an Indigo iBook clamshell (Soon going to upgrade to a Lime) and am about to go to high school. All of the school computers run on various versions of Windows, and they use Word and PowerPoint extensively, and don't really use open-source software. Should I get a Gecko EduBook ( http://www.norhtec.com/products/gecko/index.html ) with Windows XP for high-school and use Office, or use a PowerBook G4 along with Office v.X (I'll just buy a copy off eBay or something for $50) and Tiger or Leopard. Nearly all of the students use Windows as well, and don't usually use low-end PC's at all. I might need to use some Windows applications that aren't open-source, and may need to use Visual Basic Script (It's the required language for the computer science course instead of JS or C or whatever else) as well. I would probably dual-boot it with Linux, so Wine is an option. What should I get? Personally, I hate Windows and would really prefer a Mac, and I have like a $200 budget. I would probably use it as a personal computer as well.

EDIT: My old school exclusively used Macs and the only application they really needed was any video-editing software and Office.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
By the sounds of things, it sounds like you need a PC. Wine works for somethings but it doesn't for others. And some stuff you mentioned won't work at all on a PB. Especially if you need PC software. I'd stray away from an XP machine though. XP has less then two years of support from MS (less than half your way through HS) , and is MUCH less secure than Linux or Windows 7. Not to mention some software doesn't work on it anymore. And you don't want that if you really want to get into computer science. Not to mention it gets bogged down after a while. If it were me, I'd get a llano windows 7 machine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215371

Something like that would suit your needs much better. And, if you take care of it, it should easily last you through High School. It's even fast enough for gaming and handles HD videos without a hiccup.

Have fun. And work hard. Don't make the mistake of skating your way through HS like I did.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
If you can afford an intel mac, that would work, as you can run bootcamp. My girlfriend has software in college where they only have PC versions, so when I gave her my 2007 macbook I installed windows 7 on, it works for her needs. I don't think I would get any older model.

Of course, if I didn't already have the macbook, I would have gotten her a windows PC. At your price point it would be a very used mac, and you would probably want something newer just for reliability & warranty reasons. No reason to buy someone else's failing computer they put on craigslist.

One final option is to find a PC that you can hackintosh, I had an old dell 9, but it was a total pain in the rear because every point release broke it until people figured out how to make it work again. Anyway, it's an option so you can run windows, but have the mac OS when you want to. (Of course, the legality of making/running a hackintosh is questionable.)

Last edited:

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
By the sounds of things, it sounds like you need a PC. Wine works for somethings but it doesn't for others. And some stuff you mentioned won't work at all on a PB. Especially if you need PC software. I'd stray away from an XP machine though. XP has less then two years of support from MS (less than half your way through HS) , and is MUCH less secure than Linux or Windows 7. Not to mention some software doesn't work on it anymore. And you don't want that if you really want to get into computer science. Not to mention it gets bogged down after a while. If it were me, I'd get a llano windows 7 machine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215371

Something like that would suit your needs much better. And, if you take care of it, it should easily last you through High School. It's even fast enough for gaming and handles HD videos without a hiccup.

Have fun. And work hard. Don't make the mistake of skating your way through HS like I did.

Thanks, I won't skate my way through high school. :)

Hmm... I could dual-boot it with Linux. I share a home PC with others, would that work? I'm not really a gamer, so I wouldn't need that much power.

I was also thinking of getting a ThinkPad T42, does that sound like a good idea?
If you can afford an intel mac, that would work, as you can run bootcamp. My girlfriend has software in college where they only have PC versions, so when I gave her my 2007 macbook I installed windows 7 on, it works for her needs. I don't think I would get any older model.

Of course, if I didn't already have the macbook, I would have gotten her a windows PC. At your price point it would be a very used mac, and you would probably want something newer just for reliability & warranty reasons. No reason to buy someone else's failing computer they put on craigslist.

One final option is to find a PC that you can hackintosh, I had an old dell 9, but it was a total pain in the rear because every point release broke it until people figured out how to make it work again. Anyway, it's an option so you can run windows, but have the mac OS when you want to. (Of course, the legality of making/running a hackintosh is questionable.)

Oh, maybe an Intel Mac could work, except Windows costs a lot. Thanks, I knew that people boot-camped Windows on Macs, but I never thought of it. Maybe I could get a 2006 MacBook to do that, would that be a good decision?

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Yep, I'd go for a good condition 2006 MacBook. If you can grab one with the x3100 vid chipset, avoid the gma950 if u can. But they are awesome laptops for the money.
Have fun

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
If your final budget is $200 then a macbook (late 2007 2.0,2.2 with x3100 ) would be good choice...but looking at your local craigs,i can only find cheapest at $375...even at that,you would need to go buy oem win 7 for about $100 (so pretty much blows your budget)

Could you get away using a netbook? Within your $200 budget you could find a nice newish one,with win 7 (which is really a very good os)...and or you could try win 8

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Just be aware that Windows 8 won't run on most netbooks due to screen resolution limitations. And if you do go with a netbook, go with one with an AMD E series CPU. The Intel Atoms (even the new cedar trail ones) are abysmal. And make sure you also get one with Windows 7 Home Premium. Starter is so locked down you can't even change your wallpaper.

If you can, I would go with this. It's a great laptop for the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200483

But if you can live with the limitations of Windows 7 Starter, and netbook hardware, I'd go with that if you're on a tight budget.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.