Which LCD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by itsme92, May 28, 2007.

1. itsme92 Guest

Hi, I'm looking to buy an LCD for my Macbook. I would like it to have at least 1600x1050 resolution, and be at least 20". I am looking for a monitor that is under $300, and cheaper is better.

Are there any 24", 1920x1200 monitors that I can get for that price (just checking)
    is 22" better than 20" if they are the same resolution?
    Are there any that have component in as well as VGA and DVI? (not necessary, but nice to have)

I don't game on my Mac, but I may hook up my PS2 via component and an Xbox 360 up when I get one via VGA/component. Do I want a monitor with a 5ms response time, or would I only benefit from that if I was a hardcore gamer?

Is there anything you use that you would recomend to me? Thanks for any and all help

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Take a look at this monitor. I bought one and have been very pleased with it. It's a $200 22" monitor that gets great reviews and I would also give it a very high rating. Yes, even thought the 22" and 20" have the same resolution, you get 2 more inches of screen space and that is very useful. The cheapest 24" I've seen is over $500. The 22" that I suggested does have DVI and VGA.

3. itsme92 thread starter Guest

Does anybody own the Samsung 226BW?

It gets great reviews and I'm wondering if anybody here owns it. Also, down the road, when I get an Xbox 360, I could hook it up via VGA cable, right? So then how would I get the audio from the two RCA r/l plugs into the 3.5" minijack input on my JBL Creature II's?

That Viewsonic looks good, but it gets iffy reviews elsewhere, so I'm not sure about it.

4. beingme macrumors member

newegg.com probably has what you are looking for. they are pretty reliable

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

In the same boat as you. Just bought a 19" widescreen westinghouse for only 100 from Best Buy, but that was spur of the moment, cashier was an idiot and gave me 20 percent off kind of thing.

Before buying this one I was looking at the refurb westinghouse through frys.com for 199. Liked everything about it but the refurb part and the 90 day warranty.

Next I was liking the samsung 226bw. Awesome picture, awesome screen, perfect, but expensive at around 320. If money was no object, it would be this one in a 22.

Finally the outlet dell fp2007 for 269. Has the extra inputs, so I can watch TV and DVDs without having to disconnect. Only thing I didn't like was the warranty and the long response time.

That said, I think the viewsonic refurb is the best deal at 200 from frys. But if you can stretch it to 300, get the samsung, it looks great!

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I own the Viewsonic, so if you have any concerns about it you could ask me.

7. hidehide macrumors 6502

Do you want to buy the Samsung because it has 2ms response?
    In case you dont know, its the same as a LCD with 5ms response time.. Its 2ms (GTG).. companies always want to use this to cheat people..

8. djellison macrumors 68020

We just bought 3 22" LG monitors for work - <£200 each and they are superb.

Doug