which leather smart cover goes best with a black ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by kevjen888, Mar 23, 2011.

1. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

i have a black cover now, but it looks kind of dull with the black ipad. i'm thinking of red leather cover, but maybe that's too loud. what do you guys think?

2. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

3. xfs macrumors member

4. mcfly2 macrumors member

I went with the navy, but I'm into a more subtle look.

5. DaddyWhale macrumors newbie

I got the tan. It looks really good with the black iPad. Sort of like how black cars look great with tan colored leather seats.

6. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

All comes down to personal taste, I am usually one to go with black accessories for my electronics, I went with the Black Smartcover and am pleased :D

7. dcsatt, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

dcsatt macrumors member

I went with the tan, and then I conditioned it with leather conditioner (I used some old Dr. Martens neutral "dubbin") to give it a deep, rich look.
    It turned out nice.
    I also usually stick to all black, but I wanted something a little different but still professional. I'm very happy with the tan.

Edit: the attached pics look shinier than it really is. It actually has kind of a dry natural look to it.

Attached Files:

8. Annerz macrumors regular

9. bidwalj macrumors 65816

I went with the red. IMO it looks sweet. It's also the most rare as it's an apple exclusive.

10. thetechnologist macrumors member

Red

I'm a very masculine guy but I have it in red with a black iPad. It's a pretty classy combo with a bit of a presidential look to it. Tan looks sharp too but I was afraid of cleaning upkeep of such a light color. Red is enough of a handful itself to clean as the dye rubs off very easily when moisture is applied. I'd definitely recommend leather protector lotion.

11. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

12. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

I went Navy but I like how that tan one turned out with the Leather conditioner....I'll have to try that out.

13. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

The conditioned tan leather came out great. i think id really like to try that. Is it hard to apply evenly or is there a risk of it coming out looking really bad.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Looks just like red lipstick. :D

On a serious note, leather conditioner like Lexol always retains a bit of a oily sheen. Doesn't that get on the screen from handling it.

15. seanpholman macrumors regular

Red. Which I bought thinking I would get a black iPad, but ended up with a white one. So I am returning the red and getting Navy or Black...hmmm.

--Sean

16. dflowerz macrumors newbie

I went with the black one. Does its job and is low key.

17. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Red leather looks great with my 64GB 3G iPad 2!

18. dcsatt macrumors member

It's extremely easy to do. No risk, really. Just rub it in evenly, let it sit for a few minutes, and then lightly rub off any excess.
    The stuff I used looks a little shiny right at first, but it dulls a bit after about 15 minutes. The pictures look shinier than it does in person.

Here's what I used (I misspelled it above; I'll edit):
    http://www.dmusastore.com/p-1574-dubbin-neutral.aspx

19. GP_1 macrumors regular

20. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I don't think the red and black works well...I think the beige or blue.

21. wolfroolz macrumors newbie

I got the red and black and I love it, to each there own. It really depends on what you like.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I tried the red on black, and it did look very nice, but it just wasn't me. I think all the leather colors look good with the black, and it's just personal preference which you like. I ended up keeping the black -- boring, I know, but it just feels comfortable that the iPad and the cover are the same color.

23. DN7335 macrumors 6502

I went with the Navy and I'm happy with that choice, looks nice together.

24. winter27 macrumors newbie

I purchased the red yesterday (I have the black wifi ipad). It looked good but i didnt love it.. just liked it. then I started reading threads and websites with ppl saying that the red leather was bleeding onto the back of the ipad, which scared me. so, not wanting to take the chance, I returned the red today and got the cream. I like it better. will probably buy a black one too in a few weeks.

25. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo