Which Linux works with mbp2012 "13 ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MacFrag, Jan 13, 2016.

1. MacFrag macrumors member

MacFrag

Are there any Linux distributions that work out of the box with a MBP 2012 "13?

I mean stuff like sleep/fan/network(LAN/WiFi)/audio working out of the box.

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Almost all of them will. Certainly any of the big ones like Ubuntu, Mint, etc. Fedora will support all of it except wifi which is a pretty simple process to get working.

3. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

I ran Linux Mint on a mid 2012 13" and everything worked out of the box including the iSight camera which was surprising.

4. MacFrag thread starter macrumors member

MacFrag

Thanks the both of you.

A couple of months back I was reading about Linux and my mbp and people where saying that the network did not work and the power options etc.

This gives me hope, thanks :)

5. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

The problem they might be referring to is the fact that firmware for the Broadcom wireless NICs found in Macs must often be obtained separately from the distro. I believe Ubuntu and Mint don't have this problem anymore, though Fedora did last time I used it. In any case, the steps are documented here: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43/__v183.html

6. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

In Mint (I'd imagine Ubuntu is the same) you go to the additional drivers setting and enable the Broadcom wifi driver. It is not enabled by default.