Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which logo is the nicest looking?

Votes: 2 6.5%

Votes: 1 3.2%

Votes: 3 9.7%

Votes: 3 9.7%

Votes: 7 22.6%

Votes: 5 16.1%

Votes: 8 25.8%

Votes: 2 6.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Do you own an iPhone?
The name of an app already sits below the icon.

Nope. But I've seen a ton of apps that spell out in their graphic what the app is. The stand alone A means nothing except a vague reference to apple's brush, pencil, and ruler, right?

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Yep, and it's one of my pet peeves about app store icons. It's generally redundant and shows that the icon designer lacks imagination.

I read your thread and I understand what bothers you, but I think it's a personal preference more than a law of design.

A is for Apps.

You and I know that from reading this thread, but a first time casual observer won't have the foggiest.

Like I said earlier, I like you're design for the most part, it's just my opinion. I think the OP might really get upset when he finds arn just one upped his idea with Appshopper.:)

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
I think you're kidding yourself if you believe that you can describe what an app does with an icon.

Don't tell that to Apple.

Many of the references are obscure, but not non-existent. How about the Safari compass? The gears of Settings? The face on the Finder? A hammer and blueprints?

The Photoshop and Adobe reader icons are not descriptive.

I'm not saying that being descriptive is impossible or should be avoided. I just don't think it's the most important thing. Most of the time you can only get the reference to what the icon is describing after you know what the app does. It's not really a discoverable feature.

Maybe different people are different about this. I never paid attention to the meaning of the Safari compass before this minute. I guess there is a kind of descriptive meaning there but it never impinged on my consciousness for the past nine years. It still served its function of helping me to find that app among other app icons though.

A number of the apple app icons are basically screen-shots of the app. Terminal, Console, Spaces, Activity Monitor. You only get the reference after you've seen the app.

Attachments

• icons.jpg
    icons.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 57

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
I can see you spent a lot of time designing all of these, but honestly they are all ugly. I'm sorry, but I think you're going in the wrong direction.
Look at apple's "remote" app picture, or any other popular app pic
Why have a picture of an iPhone in an app icon?!?! The one with the A and the stars that someone posted is Lightyears better than the 10 listed. You should go the simple and effective route.
all of those icons will look even worse when they're scaled down to the actual iPhone icon size, it'll just look like a little block of garbage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.