Which Mac? 13" uMBP, 15", or hold out for now...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GodWhomIsMike, Jun 27, 2009.

  1. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2007
    #1
    I am definitely in no rush for a new computer/laptop. Right now, I am using a 2.16 GHz Macbook with 2GB ram, 320GB HD, and the lousy GMA 950 video.

    I been looking at a new Mac for a little while now, but definitely under no pressure to buy now.

    Here are my options:

    $1534:
    13" Macbook Pro
    2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo
    4GB ram
    500GB Hard drive
    Integrated 9400M


    $1699: (Apple Refurbished)
    2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB DDR3 memory
    512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    320GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera
    Illuminated keyboard


    Sit back for now, and see what Apple releases in August, then decide? I find my current Mac to be a bit bit slow, and I hate the fans spinning at max speed each time I watch a youtube or online video clip. Also, it takes forever to rip/encode DVDs for the iPhone. Actually, it sucks at anything pertaining to video.

    Opinions? I am strongly leaning towards a laptop, as I can move it all over the house. The iMac would be stationary, and I am not overly fond with this current generation iMac's specs. I would like something that has a bit more power, but stays near the $1500 mark.
     
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #2
    I highly doubt there will be anything in August. They just updated the models virtually across the line. If I were you I'd see if you can find a good deal on a refurb, low-end 15" June '09 unit.
     
  3. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2007
    #3
    I firmly believe we will see something done to the iMac line in August. All the Apple sites are stating Apple is going to do a price drop on them soon.

    "iMacs were just recently refreshed in March but will see another update by fall, at which time they'll also be repositioned as more affordable offerings. Apple is reportedly mulling similar 7% - 10% price reductions alongside the introduction of those models, people familiar with the company's thinking say."

    I think August seems about right. New iPods and iMacs, maybe a slight bump in the Mac Mini? Would it be that hard for Apple to bump the Mini up to a max of 2.53 GHz and add a upper tier model with 9600M GT? I kinda doubt they'd do it, but I could see the graphics processors on the iMacs getting an update, and a slight decrease in price.
     
  4. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2009
    #4
    He was talking about the MacBook - the computer you said you're "strongly leaning toward". Didn't seem like you had much enthusiasm toward new iMacs.
     
  5. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #5
    Ah ok, maybe the iMacs. As Adam pointed out I was referring to the laptops.

    I can see them bumping the iMacs to bring them more up to date, at which point you'll need to decide between power and portability. If specs are the main issue then a current generation iMac is going to beat a current generation *book for the same price pretty much without exception.
     
  6. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2007
    #6
    It was more like, sit back and wait to August and see what comes out then, or pull trigger now.
     
  7. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2007
    #7
    Yeah, the problem I face now is that this 2.16 GHz Macbook is way too slow for my taste. As much as I been leaning more towards a laptop, I question if there is any laptop out there that would quench my thirst for more performance, yet stay within a specific budget.
     
  8. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #8
    August should be at the near end of the time in which refurb June '09 units should be popping up; I'd imagine you could get the middle-of-the-road 15" MBP for around $1800 and the low-end for $1600 or so. I think that'd be the best compromise between portability and power you'd find.

    edit: I guess you probably know this since you included specs of a refurb already. ::facepalm:: :p
     
  9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #9
    If you need a computer now, buy one; if you merely want one, wait until the next updates and then consider buying a refurb if finances are an issue.

    Cheers and good luck
     
  10. mBurns macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #10
    Since it sounds like you're in no rush, you obviously do not need a new machine. This is a mere luxury and you'd be better off waiting until your machine is incapable of what you want it to do. As time progresses (even if a new model does not come out) the current generation prices will fall via the refurb store and other alternative methods (i.e. craigslist). I'd hold off, figure out EXACTLY which model you want with which specs, figure out a low price, and wait until you find one. You're in no rush and this is a buyer's market.
     
  11. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    #11
    Lol, since when is August part of the fall season?

    I doubt will see anything till Nov. That's when they did it last year. They'll update the Touch in Sept and Snow Leopard is coming out in Sept too.
     
  12. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2007
    #12
    I'm still on the fence. There is nothing in their current lineup that I like or could afford, other than the 13" @ 2.53GHz, 4GB ram, and 320GB+ hard drive, but the lack of dedicated GPU turns me off.

    I been heavily considering the refurbed 15" MBP (2.53GHz model), but what scares me, is that I would be spending nearly $1500 for something that can't address more than 4GB of ram (well unofficially 6GB).

    I love doing VM work, but as of now, I am relying heavily on a Dell desktop with 8GB of ram to do what my Macbook (2.16GHz C2D, 2GB ram, 320GB HD, and GMA 950) doesn't have the guts to do (VM work and graphical stuff).
     

Share This Page