Which Mac am I?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eemsTV, Apr 9, 2011.

1. eemsTV macrumors member

eemsTV

Hello Forum,

After many years I have now decided to upgrade my computer. I have been constantly debating whether or not to get a new computer.

I will be using it to edit videos on Premiere/After Effects CS5 and photos on Photoshop CS5, surfing and uploading on YouTube.

Hope that was enough information. Thanks for your help!

2. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

Buy the best (most powerfull) iMac, you can afford.

If you dont need the computer right now, I would wait a month or two, to see, if there will be any new refreshed iMacs ...

3. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Do you see yourself as mobile, constantly moving while doing these activities, wanting to curl up here and there, do editing and surfing and uploading while in a train, car, bus, plane, and/or here and there?

Or, do you see yourself wanting a (potentially) more powerful system, with a larger monitor, doing all these activities in one location (your office / den / etc.)?

If the former, look at a MBP... if the latter, then a iMac. And as mentioned above, I'd wait a month or so, as the new iMac's are maybe most likely hopefully being released soon.

Many other considerations to the above + your desires and thoughts come into play,,, but the above should give you a basic preliminary feel.

4. eemsTV thread starter macrumors member

eemsTV

hmm, the best most powerful one, are those little 200 dollar updates processor, memory updates worth it?

lol, I've waited this long huh, I was looking into it and yeah, a refresh is due here in no time.

I've debated that before, my wife and I love to travel, but my wife and I discussed that we wouldn't be editing too much video and photos much while we would be away, specifically because we're away. And as I was comparing MBP and iMac, the imac wins my vote, sexy specs more affordable prices. We might sell this current laptop and get a new low-end MB (after it's refresh of course ;) ).

As far as the refresh goes, I know its all speculation, but the basic formulas are used; low end smaller one, high end smaller, low end bigger screen etc. Since I'll be spending money, I'd rather get the bigger monitor. What about the upgrades here and there? What's the most important, a 200 processor upgrade, a 200 memory upgrade, a 150 video upgrade?

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

You can't upgrade the processor later, and the processor performance will directly reflect the video processing times, so get the processor upgrade for sure.

Video won't really matter unless you are using it for games, 3D graphics, or programs that use the video processor for computations, like Aperture. Since you mentioned none of these, you can skip that upgrade.

Memory can be upgraded at any time and is much less expensive bought from a 3rd party such as Other World Computing or Crucial.com. Also, memory prices go down with time, so delaying that purchase can save you money in the long run.

6. eemsTV thread starter macrumors member

eemsTV

True about upgrading the processor, that would be the most helpful for what I plan to do with the computer. Thanks so much for your help!

So I'm be looking at the high-end iMac with upgraded processor once it comes around ;) thanks for all your guys help!

7. eemsTV thread starter macrumors member

eemsTV

What would you guys recommend as far as laptop, I mean my old mid-2007 MacBook ran applications like Premiere and After Effects. I'm sure a newer one would do well, but would it be worth 200 more to just get the 13" MacBook Pro for away from home video editing? Thanks again everyone that reads this!

8. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Your 2007 MacBook was and still is a great computer but I would recommend getting a new 13" MBP. The 4 year difference in technology is too great to avoid.

9. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I tend to agree. The slowest of this year's MBP crop is faster than the fastest of last year's MBP crop. I have a 2008 Macbook and I've just gone past the end of AppleCare. If it breaks down, I will happily grab this year's 13 in MBP or perhaps even the 15 in MBP. If it holds up, I'll wait to see what this year's new iMacs and Macbook Airs bring. If I'm really lucky, I'll be able to hold out for next year's crop of Macbook Pros.

10. eemsTV thread starter macrumors member

eemsTV

Interesting, Will definitely have to save up and get MacBook Pro 13" as a secondary computer!

11. eemsTV thread starter macrumors member

eemsTV

I just purchased lowend 13" MBP and soon enough get iMac when it comes out! Thanks everyone for your help! In the future, I hope to upgrade one to both with the Vertex 3!