Which Mac and update or no update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soupyjnr, Jan 24, 2008.

?

Would you

Poll closed Feb 3, 2008.
  1. Just buy the MacBook 2.0GHz

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Buy the MacBook 2.0GHz and buy Memory and a bigger hard drive

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Buy the 2.2GHz

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. soupyjnr macrumors 6502

Hello! Sorry about all the polls. Im just about to get my first macbook and have loads of question and these forums are emmense at answering questions! So the question is should I get the 2.0GHz MacBook and update the Hard Drive and Memory, or should I wait a while longer and get the 2.2GHz MacBook which has all the updates from the 2.0GHz model built in as standard? Im wanting to know which would be better and cheaper?

By the way, I will be getting it with student discount which works out about £601.60 for the 2.0GHz model and £713.00 for the 2.2GHz model. Let me know :)

2. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Why would you need to wait to get the2.2GHz? The MacBook is not likely to be updated until the summer because they were updated in November. The next in line will be the MacBook Pro's and then the iMacs.

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I don't think the 2.2 Ghz would have any noticeable speed increase for normal college work. I'd use the extra money to put more ram in.

4. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your replies guys - ^^ this is a good point.

When I said I wanted to wait to get the 2.2GHz, its because I dont have the money right now lol! Typical student!

Yeah I might just wait and update the RAM... probably the best thing to do. Although Im sure you can get it cheaper than what you can with Apple... anybody got any ideas (remember im from the UK :d!)

5. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'm from UK too. You can get 4GB RAM from Crucial.com/uk for £52 at the moment. Buy it while it's cheap :)

I've ordered some for when I buy a MBP

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Go for Crucial, not the cheapest but definitely good gear .. no problems .. :)

7. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks again. A couple of mates said to me about crucial... Im guessin there good!

Another quick question - when I buy my Mac on Student discount, I can pay £47 for an extension of the 90 days complimentary phone support - however Applecare is given to me for free as Im gettin it on Education discount. So should I pay the extra £47? Is it worth it?

8. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Personally, I wouldn't bother. Any major problems (God forbid) will probably appear early on.

But this is only my view .. :eek:

9. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah thats cool - is thier phone support any good. Ive heard there technical repair service is very very good, but I havnt heard anything about thier phone support. Do you have to wait long, are they based in a UK call center, do they card about what your problem is? Is it an 0870 number, do you have to wait ages on them answering... ?

10. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Sorry don't know .. never had to phone them .. :cool:

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'd buy the biggest HD you can afford -- they're a pain to upgrade later.

12. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you upgrade them yourself or does somebody have to do it for you ie an apple technician?

13. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You can do it yourself. That's not the pain, the pain is backing up all your data and transferring to the new drive. Again, not hard, but it takes several hours, and it could require you to buy an external drive or enclosure. Of course, everyone should have an external drive for backup anyway, but if you're on a budget, this is one of the things people tend to sacrifice.