Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yukon Jack

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Hi,

The title says it all. I have a need to add some speech and thought bubbles to some photos for a presentation. I tried Macupdate and got nowhere. I posed that question in Duck Duck Go and nearly every hit was for a Windows app or other. A couple were for iOS apps. A few others mentioned Mac apps that were created for the PPC.

I know that there's a high probability that some image editing app for the mac includes such a feature but I have no idea which one.

Any tips or links would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

-YJ

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2015
Pixelmator has some prefab shapes and you can easily add shapes + custom clip-arts.

Xm19mq5.png

I think Pixelmator does the trick well enough, plus you have a decent image editor at the same time.

BUT...
right now Pixelmator is listed as a 30,- app which I think is way expensive if you can buy an app like Affinity Photo for 50,- which is almost Photoshop like quality.

All things aside, I think you can download a Mac Os X Trail at the Pixelmator website and use that until Pixelmator goes on sale again. If you can buy Pixelmator for about 15,- or less you'll buy a very solid app at fair price!

http://www.pixelmator.com/mac/

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
Hi,

Are you using Keynote for your presentation? If so, you can add them in there over the top of your photos. Speech bubbles come as standard. I guess a thought bubble is easy enough to make out of circles.

Attachments

• keynote.png
    keynote.png
    133 KB · Views: 1,087

Yukon Jack

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Preview, which comes with OS X Yosemite. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Thanks. Unfortunately I'm using 10.11 GM as an Appleseed tester and while the speech bubble is still available, the thought bubble seems to have disappeared. I appreciate your tip.

Yukon Jack

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Pixelmator has some prefab shapes and you can easily add shapes + custom clip-arts.

Xm19mq5.png

I think Pixelmator does the trick well enough, plus you have a decent image editor at the same time.

BUT...
right now Pixelmator is listed as a 30,- app which I think is way expensive if you can buy an app like Affinity Photo for 50,- which is almost Photoshop like quality.

All things aside, I think you can download a Mac Os X Trail at the Pixelmator website and use that until Pixelmator goes on sale again. If you can buy Pixelmator for about 15,- or less you'll buy a very solid app at fair price!

http://www.pixelmator.com/mac/
@ Shmoo: Thanks for the tip. I do have Pixelmator and didn't think to check it. Those two shapes you highlighted look good but I'll have to design a custom one for thought balloons.

Yukon Jack

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Hi,

Are you using Keynote for your presentation? If so, you can add them in there over the top of your photos. Speech bubbles come as standard. I guess a thought bubble is easy enough to make out of circles.
@ superscape: Good tip. I'm not using Keynote but am assembling some slides for a web presentation. It might be worth using and applying the results to my slideshow. Still no thought balloons. :-(

casale

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2015
Although not a Mac app, the free web-based editor PicMonkey has a few bubble-shaped overlays. See attached screenshot.

Attachments

• picmonkey.png
    picmonkey.png
    448.7 KB · Views: 554

Yukon Jack

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Although not a Mac app, the free web-based editor PicMonkey has a few bubble-shaped overlays. See attached screenshot.
Casale, thanks or this link. It looks like just the thing. I have to install Flash first, though. :-(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.