Which Mac Desktop to Buy or do i upgrade memory?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zyhlo, May 26, 2011.

1. zyhlo macrumors newbie

Which Mac Desktop to Buy or do i upgrade memory?

I currently have a Mac Mini Core Duo with 1.2gig Memory, however with the applications i am using, it has gone extremely slow. I am also using Leopard OS. My Mac Mini is on all day everyday.

Applications im currently using:
    Aircam for security cameras
    SABNZBD - Browser Based
    Sickbeard - Browser Based
    Couchpotato - Browser Based
    Firefox

Hardware Connected:
    Seagate BlackArmor NAS connected to my DSL router

My Apple TV connects to the router & plays stuff directly from the NAS

I am also moving home so i plan to install more cameras, etc...

Future applications to use:
    iPhoto for a huge collection of photos
    iMovie for making home movies
    Itunes for my iphone

I know this sounds complicated but which desktop perfectly fits what i am doing as above? Bearing in mind that my desktop is on all the time.

If i do upgrade my memory to 2gig on my current mac mini, will it make a difference?

I would really appreciate everyone's help!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You will be better off with a new computer. The new iMacs are very powerful so even the base 21.5" iMac would be fine if your budget is limited. The Mini could be used as a HTPC or server for instance.

3. trip1ex macrumors 68000

2 gigs will help. 2 gigs is the minimum needed these days. Why not try it first? I mean I just sold 2 gigs of older Mac memory for not even $15. It won't cost anything to try this route first.

That being said the new entry level iMac was a nice jump.

I'd wait on a new Mini. You'll probably see a new one this summer sometime.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I definitely agree. You're limited to 2GB in your current mini, which just isn't enough for most people, especially photo editing. The new base model iMac would serve you very well.

5. DeChrii macrumors member

IMO I would suggest you upgrade to the entry level iMac. It was just refreshed as well and the specs are going to perform your current needs perfectly without any problems. Instal istat to your gadgets to see how much ram your using up and if theres still a ton left over, it wouldn't make much of a difference. of course upgrading ram is cheap nowadays when you can buy a 3rd party 8gigs for 80ish.