Which mac for college?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lawrence14, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Lawrence14 macrumors newbie

I'm getting my first macbook pro for college. My school has a display model 2.0 ghz 15'' from early 2011 with the i7 for $865.99,or I can get the new 2012 13'' macbook pro for $1100 (student discount). Which do you recommend, and is the 15'' too big to carry around?

2. emacna1 macrumors regular

The 2012 models haven't been released yet. I would wait til Monday for WWDC if I were you.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Any requirement for classes that might demand the more capable 15"? It's not that it's that much heavier, it just has a larger overall footprint and when you add that to a backpack already full of books, it might be a lot. Both are great deals, so take what I said into consideration.

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

13" or the 15" is a personal preference. It just depends on what you are going to be doing with it. Papers, Internet, gaming, photoshop, video editing and so on. So what do you want to use it for?

And how do you know the price of the 2012 model when they haven't even been announced yet? :rolleyes:

5. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

it really depends what you want to use it for.If you only need to type papers and look at power points, it doesn't really matter which you pick. If you decide that you want to play games or are a creative design major, I would lean towards the 15 unless the 13 in update is impressive. I wouldn't really care about the weight since most likely that will be the only thing in your backpack or maybe 1 extra book.

6. Lawrence14 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm assuming it'll be the same price. I don't need the 15'', but I'd probably play games on it and it's cheaper anyway

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I couldn't have said it better. Unless you need to do some form of digital arts or gaming, it's just personal preference.

And wait until WWDC next week.

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The extra speed of the CPU, GPU and higher resolution are not only appreciated by people using their computer for digital arts or gaming.

9. Laco macrumors 6502

Definitely get the 15inch it is an amazing deal and the better laptop.

10. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Since you are in college, I would opt for the cheapest price point...and no...the 15" MBP is not too large/heavy to carry about.

11. calibrationx macrumors member

12. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

$865 for the 15" is a crazy good price. If cost/value plays any part of the decision, I'd say you should pounce on that deal. I would, in a heartbeat.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's a matter of preference. Asking for blind recommendation won't help you. Specs are online. You can look at the weight and see if it's too heavy. If the number doesn't mean anything to you then check one out in person and consider whatever other weight you'll be lugging around as well (case, bag, accessories, books, etc).

It's preference either way.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I think he was suggesting that for the OP, these are the most likely activities to choke a smaller machine. It may be less of a factor with 2012 models, especially if the igpu is supported by Adobe's mercury engine implementation, but it's still not likely to be that great for games.

If it's a student deal, it won't be the last one. Late 2011 pricing could dip when 2012 models are introduced as well.

15. ag101 macrumors newbie

Seriously, it's just college.

Literally the cheapest laptop you could possibly find at Bestbuy will do the job.

If you want a Mac, just get the cheapest one.

16. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Regardless what comes out this year dollar for dollar you won't beat the price/value of that 15 I paid 1700 in september for the same one if money is not part of your decision than yea wait to see what the 2012s are like

17. Laco macrumors 6502

This is exactly right there won't be a better one for that price.

18. Lawrence14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also they just emailed me this:

I am sorry to say the computer is in demo condition, it has a fair amount of wear from customer use on it and there is no warranty available for it at this time.

19. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ahh yes now that price is making alittle more sense

20. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I would say to wait until the announcement and get the 2012 13" MacBook Pro too.

It might seem more expensive, but you're also getting a year of AppleCare with it. Plus, your Mountain Lion and iLife will be free. That saves you about ~$100 just there that you're probably going to end up spending later on.

21. Lawrence14 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to get them to send me pictures of the 15'' then decide after wwdc. Does anyone know if apple gives out a free printer/ipod/giftcard with the student discount like they used to? Couldn't find anything about it on their website so I'm guessing no

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They seem to be phasing that out. I suggest checking third party authorized retailers. Sometimes they'll have excellent options beyond what you'd get ordering from Apple. The only advantage I see ordering from Apple is the very open return policy. If you're going with another just be sure to ask about the details first.

23. Laco macrumors 6502

Maybe you could get Applecare? That would insurance if things go wrong.

24. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If it's already out of the 1 year warranty then you can't add Applecare as far as I know.

25. Laco macrumors 6502

Yes that is correct but it might not be.