Which Mac For Logic Pro 9?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jerrydpi, Jul 9, 2013.

1. jerrydpi macrumors member

Hello guys!!

As previously discussed, I have a 2012 13" MBP i7 with a 256GB SSD/16GB, running Logic Pro 9.

My best friend (and Guitar Player in my Band) wants to buy a new Mac and Logic Pro 9 for his/our Studio (at his home).

Even though he has admitted he may never do so, he's got in his head "What if i want to record, all at the same time, a Drummer (with six mics), a Bass Player, a Keyboard (in Stereo), a Guitar (him) and a scratch Vocal/".

So this leads to my question as to what Mac to buy.

Please note that he would love to have a MBP, but if a MBP will not work for his above "fantasy" scenario, he doesn't mind going with a Desktop, as he can save a few bucks.

And please note as well, I'm not going to sell him my MBP, as I don't think the Hard Drive is large enough, I got a great deal on it, AND,
    I don't like him THAT much :D

So we've narrowed it do to:

1) 2012 13" MBP i5 2.5GHz/8GB/500GB HD.
    2) 2012 21.5" iMac 2.7 Quad-core/8GB/1TB HD.
    3) 2011 15.4" MBP 2.3GHz Quad-core/8GB/750GB HD

So which one should he go with?

Thanks!

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Number three by far unless portability is not a concern.

3. jerrydpi thread starter macrumors member

So you think #2 will work fine (as long as portability is not a concern) as well?

4. ooans macrumors 6502

All of the choices should work fine. He only might have to use an external hard drive to record to, maybe a faster one.

5. alkalifly macrumors regular

alkalifly

Any of the Macs will do the job (I used to record a similar setup on a Powerbook G3), but to record all 11 inputs simultaneously, you will need an audio interface with at least 11 inputs, so, in other words, an additional piece of hardware. I don't have much experience with USB audio interfaces (I always used Firewire interfaces when recording on a mobile Mac), but there seem to be 16-channel USB interfaces being sold, so I'm assuming the USB bus is capable of streaming that many channels at once. You could use a TB->FW adapter and a FW interface, or get one of the new (expensive!) TB audio interfaces

6. Suraj R. macrumors regular

Logic is a relatively unintensive program; I was able to run it pretty smoothly on my old 2008 C2D Dual Core iMac. It runs flawlessly on my new 2013 MBA 13" with the i5/8 GB of RAM. Get the 13" MBP and change the internal HD to an SSD, and get a 1-2 TB USB 3.0 external drive (less than $100) and you'll be set. You don't need the Quad Core processors and this way you get the portability.

Even an Air and an external drive would be fine.

7. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

for all the you would need an ssd(preferably) or a fast 7200rpm hdd and lots of ram.
    If i were to choose from the list you put up I'd be confused as they all good.
    If you guys have portability as a last thing in the list i would say an iMac.