Which Mac for Starter Dev

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Darth Revan, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Darth Revan macrumors newbie

Hi ,

Perhaps im posting in the wrong section, but what i wanted to check is

For a first timer in Obj. C and Swift, is a Mac mini sufficient for the start,

Later once the New MacB Pro arrives, we would upgrade to that one, so in order not to waste time, a minor investment was proposed to get things going, start with basics etc. etc. Later upgrade

and still keep the mini for other tasks available

What is your thought, Should one wait for the new MBPr with the new features , while investing in mini

or just buy now the MBPr 15 ?

Sincerely

2. gordian, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015

gordian macrumors member

Apple gives you 14 days to try a new machine. Just hit the ground running and put it through its paces the moment you bring it home and you should be in a good position to evaluate your decision on your own.

The new 15" rMBP is an outstanding machine. If you wait for the latest and greatest then you'll always be waiting—that's just Moore's Law 101. My strategy has always been to upgrade my rMBP when I need to—about every 5 years—and sell the old one. By the time I sell the old one I've done so many upgrades (less possible these days though) and I've taken such good care of it that I can usually recoup at least 50-60% of the cost of a new one.

Personally, I would go with an rMBP now. If it can't handle your dev needs then it may not be the machine for you, period. If that's the case then its unlikely that the Mac Mini would've handled them either and you might look into an iMac or Mac Pro.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I prefer the 15" rMBP because of the quad core processor, better GPU and larger screen :)

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Any Mac with at least a Fusion Drive or an SSD will do the job fine. For your needs, you can invest in a relatively inexpensive Mac Mini with a 1.4/4/1TB FD configuration. Or to better future-proof it, spec it up with a 2.6/8/1TB FD configuration. Relatively inexpensive and has plenty of power for your needs.

In fact, I'd snap up this refurb while you can: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FGEQ2LL/A/Refurbished-Mac-Mini-28GHz-Dual-core-Intel-Core-i5

Cheaper than a brand new 2.6/8/1TB FD.