Which Mac is best for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MeinKraft, Jul 7, 2012.

1. MeinKraft macrumors newbie

MeinKraft

Hello,
    I am a nooby to the world of Apple and I wish to purchase a Mac computer. I've looked into every single model they make and I am not exactly sure which one is right for me. I find myself leaning towards an iMac but I am not exactly sure which one I should buy. The main reason I wish to purchase a Mac is because I have found them to be better and more reliable than a normal PC computer (based solely off research). I think that a Mac would be perfect for me because Macs are great for creativity and also good for work. I want a Mac that has enough power for creativity but is also good for the working environment. I would also like to know of any special deals I could get on a Mac computer. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Thanks for your time! :)

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

What do you do with your computer? Can't really recommend anything unless we know that it will meet your requirements.

You said 'creativity', but is that photo/video editing, 3D work, etc?

3. MeinKraft thread starter macrumors newbie

MeinKraft

By creativity I meant using things such as Photoshop or GarageBand, or maybe a video editing program (video edition isn't really my thing though...) I mainly use computers for work, surfing the web, and creating small creativity based things (such as a small film in iMovie, song in GarageBand, the occasional Photoshopping, and things of that nature...) I'm basically looking for a good all around computer.

4. CustomTB macrumors newbie

First Question... What's your time frame? iMac is due for a refresh. Hopefully sooner rather than later as I am waiting on it for my next iMac.

Next Question, Do you need portability? Are you looking for a desktop or Laptop?

Based on your requirements the entry level iMac would be a fine desktop. The 21.5 inch is plenty of screen for general use. The 500GB should be plenty for your current activities.

Upgrading to the 2.7GHz may only be worth it if money isn't an issue. You'll get a small speed benefit now and it will be just a little longer before you feel the need to refresh.

The 27 inch iMac screen is nice but I find it too big for my small desk

Laptops are a little trickier.

If you need Max portability, go for the Air.

If you don't, go with a Macbook Pro... I like larger screens, 17"... because I sit on the couch and don't want to deal with a secondary monitor. 15" should be fine for this type of use.

If you use it at a desk station most of the time a 13" with a larger thunderbolt display might be the way to go.

5. MeinKraft thread starter macrumors newbie

MeinKraft

I was actually going to wait for the next iMac to be released before I get one. I hope they don't wait long because my laptop is on its last leg... Thanks for the information though! It was really helpful!